Author Topic: Merging structure?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
Merging structure?
« on: September 25, 2011, 03:01:06 am »
I want to ask someone using storage pooling (since I don't use it for the time being) or better Brahim himself - before I submit a feature request.

How does the latest build handle expansion of folders? Will this change (Brahim) when Pooling is rewritten from scratch?

More specifically. Let say we merge drives D: and E: and we have a folder "Folder1" just in D:. We make a pool from the two drives (P:) and start using it. We add files in P:\Folder1 and at some point the system needs to use drive E:. Will it make (or use if it exists) Folder1 on E:? Or does it still use _flxr_?
What happens if folder is already also on E:. Will FlexRAID use this instead of _flxr_?

---

In case FlexRAID uses _flxr_:

- I suppose this simplifies conflict problems. You just rebuild the folder structure as needed in this private folder and everything is fine.
- Issue: You may exceed allowed path depth (yes for seven characters).
- Issue: Not user "friendly" method in case user stops using FlexRAID or just accesses the distinct drives.

In case FlexRAID could build the structure without using _flxr_:

- More transparent system.
- No path depth problems.
- Issue: Needs to check AND REPORT for FILE conflicts when Pool is first built and possibly even when user requests (in case file in same path and different drive with same filename is written directly on a distinct drive ignoring the pool).
- Issue: Needs smarter file management as someone might need to replace a file with a larger one (or an existing one grows?). In that case system should calculate if it still fits and if not, use another disk WITHOUT leaving the old smaller file on the other disk.

I used to be a strong fan of the second method (and still think it has a bit of an edge), but I guess a proper batch file might move things to their proper places in case someone stops using FlexRAID.

---

So back to the topic. Does it still use _flxr_? Will it still be like that with the new pooling code?

(captcha for EACH post is pain)
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline xliv

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Merging structure?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:28:03 am »
I'm just answering to test this new forum...  ;)
Well, are you talking about the auto modes?

I'm using the auto-folder-priority  mode.
And yes, the Folder1 will transparently be created on your second drive once the first is full.

From that point on, when creating a sub-directory, it might be first created on your first drive, but when adding files to it, it will be recreated on your second drive and the files will fall into it.
And obviously, say Folder1 already existed, of course it'll be used.

I have _flxr_ folders, but they're always empty. But only in the auto modes.
Server HW: ASUS P8B-E/4L + PIKE 2008 SAS | Xeon E3-1230 | 8GB DDR3 ECC 1333 [Kingston - KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G] | Intel 320 - 80 Go (OS)
Server OS: Win7 64b EN
FlexRAID 2.0 latest build, Cruise Control, 7 DRUs (6x3TB,1x2TB), 1 PPU (2x2TB)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:50:16 am »
I want to ask someone using storage pooling (since I don't use it for the time being) or better Brahim himself - before I submit a feature request.

I refuse to answers questions from someone not bothering to install and try to figure out the basics for himself. ;)

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:41:29 pm »
I was thinking of testing the new one that you were supposed to release this weekend? :P

(btw, did you check captcha threshold?)
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline xliv

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:37:16 pm »
(btw, did you check captcha threshold?)

I've read 5 in another thread. This is my fifth. Let's see...

Edit: yes, 5 it is ;)
Server HW: ASUS P8B-E/4L + PIKE 2008 SAS | Xeon E3-1230 | 8GB DDR3 ECC 1333 [Kingston - KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G] | Intel 320 - 80 Go (OS)
Server OS: Win7 64b EN
FlexRAID 2.0 latest build, Cruise Control, 7 DRUs (6x3TB,1x2TB), 1 PPU (2x2TB)