Author Topic: Harddrives?  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Ramshackles

• View Profile
Harddrives?
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:15:21 pm »
Hello all,

Which harddrives do you swear by? Looking to buy 2TB drives, 3TB is still way too pricy in EU.

I used to swear to WD drives but had a lot of trouble recently with the WD20EARS, then I was recommended the Hitachi 5k3000 but they're not widely available in Denmark, maybe because of WD buying them I'm not sure.

Any other ideas? Never tried Seagate or Samsung.

Thanks

Offline jasonwc

• View Profile
Re: Harddrives?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:26:21 pm »
Samsung F4 2TB drives are extremely reliable, quiet and fast (130-135 MB/sec at beginning of the drives). I have also had good luck with the Hitachi 5K3000 drives. The WD EARS model is fine but isn't as fast as the others, and generally costs more than the Hitachi - at least in the US.
Norco RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Case (24 Hotswap Bays) | Asus P8B Workstation Motherboard (four PCI-E 16x slots @ 8x/8x/4x/4x and dual 82574L Intel server NICs) | Core i3-2100 | Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS Controller | Corsair TX650v2 PSU | Currently 16 TB array, 2 TB parity | WHS 2011

Offline Ramshackles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:39:03 am »
I heard good things about the hitachi drives, but can't find them anywhere in Europe currently. Both the Samsungs and WDs are available so I guess I'll pick what's cheapest or in stock :)

Offline Bazinga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 10:54:11 am »
I wonder as to why would anyone need a fast drive in a file server used by 1-2-3 clients at a time and connected over home network? What's the point? All you do with that -waste money by buying a more expensive drive and power while running them..

As for the price - I'm surprised to hear and  WD drives are expensive in EU.. Wow.. I mean - now with HDD shortage all drives are crazy expensive, but the last 3 TB WD I bought in Canada was $129 in mid September.

I've heard that Samsung drives are reasonable, but WD Green is always my choice for my file server.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 11:01:37 am »
I always buy the drive I can find cheaper (except if the second cheaper has really better specs) and only at the current euro/GB "sweet spot" (which I think is 2TB right now).

Everything else is over-consumerism.
Also currently no-can-do in Greece.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 01:14:19 pm »
I always buy the drive I can find cheaper (except if the second cheaper has really better specs) and only at the current euro/GB "sweet spot" (which I think is 2TB right now).

Everything else is over-consumerism.
Also currently no-can-do in Greece.

But I thought the way to fix an economy was to get everyone to spend all their money?
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:34:08 pm »
Well feel free to do it.

You can spend them on me if you like.
I have wishes starting from 15 euro (minecraft gift code) all the way to 150000 euro (my house's mortgage).
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline spiffyp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »
I wonder as to why would anyone need a fast drive in a file server used by 1-2-3 clients at a time and connected over home network? What's the point? All you do with that -waste money by buying a more expensive drive and power while running them..

As for the price - I'm surprised to hear and  WD drives are expensive in EU.. Wow.. I mean - now with HDD shortage all drives are crazy expensive, but the last 3 TB WD I bought in Canada was $129 in mid September.

I've heard that Samsung drives are reasonable, but WD Green is always my choice for my file server.

I second that motion! At least, in a small-scale file server. Which, I assume, is what we're all running here.

Little math talk... 100mbit connection = 12.5MB/sec transfer. Taking the Samsung F4 specs from above, you would need to make a gigabit connection to get full speeds on the drive. Since I assume there are multiple drives in the array, and chances are pretty good that multiple accesses are from different drives, you would almost never get full transfer speed from 1 single drive over the network.

I've always found WD Green drives to be cheap and reliable, and very power-friendly. And quiet. Last 2tb WD Green I bought (also here in Canada) was $75.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 02:22:33 am »
Who uses 100mbit at home?

All PCs the last maybe 5 years come with Gbit NICs and a small Gbit switch is like 30 euros.

---
NLS

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 04:26:55 am »
Who uses 100mbit at home?

All PCs the last maybe 5 years come with Gbit NICs and a small Gbit switch is like 30 euros.

Me as I don't have a spare 30 euros. I spent all mine trying to save the economy.

No really I have 100Mb I want to go Gigabit but I can still stream all my HD content is only large file transfers which are slow!
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 05:19:07 am »
Save the economy? What are you, Greek?

Gbit is a revelation when handling file transfers. It's like single computer transfer. :)

---
NLS

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 06:59:30 am »
Save the economy? What are you, Greek?

Gbit is a revelation when handling file transfers. It's like single computer transfer. :)

No I'm from the UK but the banks were bailed out so there would still be credit available so the masses can keep on spending and this was supposed to help. I don't think it is working!

I think Christmas will allow me to move up to Gigabit all I need is a switch
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:03:56 am »
Well I *am* Greek and lucky to have moved to Gbit more than 5 years ago (because now I wouldn't afford it).

---
NLS

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:43:43 am »
Yea I need to upgrade 100Mb is a PITA as I have all my clients using a download folder on my server. So if I download a large file and then try to execute it (eg Nvidia driver) it has to transfer the file back into the clients temp directory before it can be executed. This should be up to 10x faster on 1000Mb
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 07:46:32 am »
Yes.
I can even run X-Plane over my network. :) (which is 60GB with the extra terrain)

---
NLS