Author Topic: How does pooling work with multiple folders?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline donkey33

• View Profile
How does pooling work with multiple folders?
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:01:21 am »
I'm deciding whether to get the storage pooling option or not but not exactly sure what it does. I mean I know what storage pooling kind of is but how does it work with multiple files?

My drives have the same folder structure across all of them. A file of any kind (movie, music, document, etc) can go on any and it will be located in that area. Just with a different drive letter so I can drop files into any drive. If I pool, do I just add a folder to the drive? I assume it doesn't just find the right directory, etc. Or do I still do it as normal and add the file to the correct area and then the pooling shows them all as one drive?

Just a bit confused on if I will benefit from it.

Thanks

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How does pooling work with multiple folders?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:18:37 am »
FlexRAID is safe on your data. So, it is usually best to just do a setup and see how things works. Much easier than explain through a bunch of text.
Otherwise, hit the wiki and search on "merge modes".

Offline donkey33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:08:54 am »
Well, set up a test config just to see how it works and you're right. It was the best explanation and I like what it does. I am having an issue though.

My config was just using four USB thumb drives just to do some testing. So I set it up and it worked fine. Storage pool was looking good and adding files to the pool had them showing up on drives correctly but I'm having issues with restoring.

So, for testing purposes, I pulled one of the DRU drives so the drive manager shows missing. Using the old flexraid all I needed to do was insert another drive and it would rebuild but I'm having trouble doing that here. The missing drive was J: and the new drive I inserted came up as J: and none of the options worked when I selected J: to restore to. I thought maybe I had to change the drive letter so did that but it still doesn't restore to that drive. I keep getting messages like "M:\ cannot be used to swap out a drive in the storage pool! Drive Type: DRIVE_REMOVABLE..." and "The drive currently in the pool is missing or has failed.
Please swap the drive or restore to a drive outside of the pool.".

What am I doing wrong? M: is outside the pool already and newly formatted. The DRIVE_REMOVABLE error I know nothing about but if a drive fails, you can obviously restore it but I'm struggling to emulate it.

Thanks

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:05:42 am »
Are you in Cruise Control or in Expert mode?

Offline donkey33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:34:23 am »
Sorry, in cruise control. No matter what I try it's not working.

Advanced is more like I was used to prior to the 2.0 version but cruise control will work well enough for me if I can figure out how to restore a disk. I used to be able to test and pull a disk, insert another and rebuild but not with this.

My trial is running out too so I need to know it works before I purchase.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:49:45 pm »
There are several articles on the wiki about testing recovery scenarios.
You should follow them and post the exact step you are having issue with. Mostly, try to capture a screenshot of the step where you are having issue.

Offline donkey33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 04:06:25 am »
This was the guide I was following.

http://wiki.flexraid.com/2012/03/23/testing-flexraids-cruisecontrol-recovery-operations/

But I didn't want to restore a healthy drive to another drive. I want to emulate a failed drive and restore to that. So if a DRU goes down, I want to be able to insert another drive and have the parity rebuild the dead drive.

This is my test setup. Just using three USB thumb drives. A single PPU and single DRU with the third as the drive I want to restore to. I just created a bunch of folders and text files for the test. Added my DRU and PPU and initialized the raid. Started the pool and it was showing correctly under the pooled drive.

What I did next was pull the DRU out as to emulate a dead drive. Drive manager shows this.

Showing zero bytes but they are empty text files. Those empty text files show fine in the pool. Image shows the drive missing and when I click on it, the restore/swap button is there which I would think allows me to insert a new drive and restore to it. This is the error I get after selecting the first option.

As you can see, I have selected the new drive (M:) and clicked on the button that says I have already swapped the drives out. Failed.

This is the second option which is to just restore to the selected drive I chose (M:)

This option sounds easy enough but no data? Is it not restoring off the PPU?

Last option I try just because but it just gives me the no drive error because obviously the drives are different letters. Even when I change the drive path to match it still gives me the error.

There has to be something simple I'm doing wrong or not doing right. This should be straight forward if a drive dies and I put a replacement in. I even tried it without starting the pool but get the same errors. Just to note, when I create an advanced snapshot, I can perform this test fine. Create, remove and restore to a new drive but this auto option is giving me issues.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:08:39 am by donkey33 »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »
Okay, you have unmask a UI bug affecting removable drives.

1. Download: http://download.openegg.org/temp/R9_RTR_Patch/web_u9_patch.zip
2. Stop the FlexRAID service
3. Delete <install root>\web
4. Extract the downloaded zip into <install root> and ensure that it extracts as folder named "web"
5. Start the FlexRAID service
6. Refresh your browser and clear its cache

Let me know if you have any further issue.

Offline donkey33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:26:06 am »
Thank you  ;D

That worked exactly how I needed it to. Pulled the drive to simulate failure, selected another drive and rebuilt the DRU on the new drive. All files restored.

Thanks

Offline donkey33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:33:53 pm »
One other question as I can't seem to find anything on it. Is it possible to snapshot drives outside the pool within the same config?

I assume I can always set up another config and only add those drives I want as snapshot only but just wondering if it's possible within the same config so when I update/validate, etc, I only need to do it once.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 12:21:40 am »
I am not understanding what you are trying to do.

Offline donkey33

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 02:27:04 am »
Cruise control is the combo of snapshot raid and storage pooling. Each drive you add becomes part of the pool.

Is there a way under cruise control to have a drive as part of the snapshot raid but not part of the pool? So when you update and verify, it performs that on all drives and not only just drives in the pool.

Or do I need to have separate configs? So a cruise control setup and then a second one which is using expert mode but snapshot only for those drives I want to snapshot but not be part of the storage pool?

I have media hard drives and I have a personal hard drive just for files. I want to make sure this is protected but I don't want it part of the pool.

Does that explain it better?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 01:04:22 pm »

No, not in Cruise Control mode. You will need to switch to Expert mode where you have more flexibility in determining what's in the RAID and what's in the pool.