Author Topic: Storage Issues  (Read 631 times)

Offline dirty_denim86

• View Profile
Storage Issues
« on: December 02, 2016, 03:24:16 pm »
I have a snapshot raid setup with 4 x 2TB data drives and 1 x 2TB Parity drive.

When I select the combined flexraid drive and select all the folders I get a total of 6.15TB used but for some reason I only have roughly 100GB left on my current setup.

I have attached a screenshot to show the difference. Wondering if anyone can help me with this I can't seem to figure it out.

Offline dirty_denim86

• View Profile
Re: Storage Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:10:31 pm »
I figured out the issue with my setup...

When I began the setup for my snapshot raid I never disabled the recycle bin for the drives that were going to be in my storage pool. It looked like items that were being delete were never actually being emptied out of the drive recycle bin because of this hence why my storage pool drive showed that it had a lot less space available than I thought it should have even after deleting many items and updating the storage pool.

I mounted the drives individually in windows assigned them each a drive letter disable the recycle bin options for all of those drivesby right clicking the windows recycle bin select each storage drive in my pool individually and selecting "Don't move files to the recycling bin. Remove files immediately after deleting".

I then ran the following commands rd /s /q %SYSTEMDRIVE%\$Recycle.bin for each drive in the command prompt this must have flushed out old items from the drive that were still hidden and not able to be removed manually.

After all that I unmounted the drive letters from windows and came across over 1TB of storage that was saved by doing this.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:21:13 pm by dirty_denim86 »

Offline karimkanji

• View Profile
Re: Storage Issues
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:40:54 am »
Thanks so much for posting this!! I managed to reclaim over 2TB of missing space from my pool using this method.

I had made sure that the recycling bin was turned off for each of my six data drives and for the pool as a whole from day 1 yet when i was deleting data, I wasn't getting any space back. The $Recycling.bin folder didn't show up in Windows explorer even when set to show hidden and system folders yet when I used your command line method, I got all the space back. Very happy as a I was about to splash out on a new drive

;D