Author Topic: Different Drive Speeds, Single or Multiple Pools  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Dizzy49

• View Profile
Different Drive Speeds, Single or Multiple Pools
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:04:41 pm »
I have basically 3 diff drives right now.  5x 2TB Samsung F4s, 5x 3TB Seagate Barracuda XT (7200RPM). and 3x 3TB WD30EZRX.  The WD30EZRX is quite a bit slower than the other two (by almost 50%).

I was trying to figure out if I wanted to make one pool, or multiple pools to optimize performance.  I wasn't sure if I should group them by size (2TB vs 3TB), by speed (would probably do the Samsung and Seagate drives as one, and the WDs by themselves), or have a single pool.  I wasn't sure if the entire pool operated at the slowest speed, or if each drive operated at it's own speed so the overall pool speed would vary depending which drives were being accessed. 

I have two types of data I store.  One is our "Data" which has our family pictures, hard drive images, my work data, my wife's work data, stuff like that.  The "Data" is about 1TB.  The rest is Media (Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc).  I download about 4-5 movies, and 10-15 episodes a week.  I usually keep 4 of the movies, and 5 of the episodes (the rest I watch and delete).  What would you recommend for pools and redundancy?

My initial thought was one pool for the "Data" with realtime, and another pool for the Media with Snapshot.  However, if the pool operates at the speed of the accessed drive, then I think I'd just do a single pool and use two of the WD30EZRX drives as parity drives.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!!
Server HW: Norco RPC-4220 | Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525 | 4GB Mushkin SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 | LSI 9201-16i | Corsair TX650 | 64GB Corsair Vertex2 SSD (OS)
Server OS: Windows 7 64bit Pro
FlexRAID RAID-F 2.0 Update 12, Cruise Control [SnapShot RAID], 9 DRUs (9x3TB), 2 PPU (2x3TB)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Different Drive Speeds, Single or Multiple Pools
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:07 pm »
Stick with one pool.
For one, you are limited to only one pool for now, but even you could have multiples, you would gain no performance improvement from the split.

Offline Dizzy49

• View Profile
Re: Different Drive Speeds, Single or Multiple Pools
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:15:11 am »
Only one pool?  Hmm, must have missed that.

On one hand I think two pools would have been since since I could do Realtime RAID on my "Data" data, and Snapshot RAID for the "Media".

Ok, so one pool with two parity drives it is.  I'll use two of the WD drives for parity until I can see if I can return them and get the WD Red's instead.
Server HW: Norco RPC-4220 | Supermicro X7SPA-H-D525 | 4GB Mushkin SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 | LSI 9201-16i | Corsair TX650 | 64GB Corsair Vertex2 SSD (OS)
Server OS: Windows 7 64bit Pro
FlexRAID RAID-F 2.0 Update 12, Cruise Control [SnapShot RAID], 9 DRUs (9x3TB), 2 PPU (2x3TB)