Author Topic: New ubuntu install with Freenas data migration  (Read 2175 times)

Offline ausraid

• View Profile
New ubuntu install with Freenas data migration
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:11:24 pm »
I have a backup server running Freenas. With individual disks (4x 1.5tb) as each share, no raid or redundancy. I would like to migrate the data to a Flexraid box running on top of ubuntu.
Freenas was working fine for me, but the new server is to be used as a BT machine and some other roles as well so a dedicated NAS was no longer viable.

The plan is to run ubuntu off a USB flash drive, buy a single  2tb hdd, and copy over the data from one 1.5tb to that drive. Then format the 1.5tb drive add it to the ubuntu server and then copy the data from the next 1.5tb to the old 1.5tb in the new server and repeat this process for the remaining drives.

At the end I want all the drives to be recognised as a single drive in ubuntu and shared as a single drive.

What is the best way for me to join the drives, and is my proposed workflow doable? I do have complete backup of all my data, but don’t want to destroy my Freenas data in one go as then I’ll be relying on a single source of my data (with no backup) at least if I move one drive at a time I don’t loss as much data if my backup for any reason is corrupt.

Offline manxam

• View Profile
Re: New ubuntu install with Freenas data migration
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:09:37 pm »
Your migration strategy is viable and is what I did as I also came from FreeNAS. I created two parity drives in a Tx-Raid array though along the way.

As for the drive pooling, it's not reliable in Linux in the current preview build but will apparently be fixed in the beta to be released soon.

Cheers!

Offline ausraid

• View Profile
Re: New ubuntu install with Freenas data migration
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:46:22 pm »
thx manxam for the quick,

how is the drive pooling under windows 7?

I have two servers one is a freenas and the other unraid. the plan was to move one backup to  ubuntu+flexraid and the other to Windows 7 + flexraid. As both unraid and Freenas being aimed at NAS’ have limited me.

If the Win7 drive pooling is currently working I might move to that first (with Win7 on a normal hdd, not USB) and then move to Ubuntu after it passes the beta.

Unless there is an ETA on the beta, do they have a schehduled release or is it as they are ready?