Author Topic: Ubuntu 12.04 USB install  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Middors

• View Profile
Ubuntu 12.04 USB install
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »
Hi,

I've been looking at moving from my current WHS v1 install to Ubuntu 12.04.

I currently have 3 drives in my system,

1) 500gb OS drive used for WHS V1
2) 1 TB drive
3) 2 TB drive

my intentions are to use the 2TB as parity and then buy another 2TB, giving me 3 TB of space for storage.

Am I able to run Ubuntu from a 16gb USB stick with Flexraid which would let me use the 500gb in the storage pool as well ?

I was looking at using this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/ to make the USB install.

Is this even possible ? Has anyone had any experience in doing it and will it suffer any transfer speeds or any other negative effects by doing this ?

Am I better to just partition the 500gb and add the second partition to my pool ?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Cykle

• View Profile
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 USB install
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 07:01:17 am »
No problem with 16GB stick, im using a 16GB Corsair USB3 stick with 12.04.

Only i had to install with usb2.0 for linux to boot, and then after install change to USB3.0

Only i have registered FR with windows 7 and i cant seem to register on Ubuntu becaurse of that.

To setup flexraid:
http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Configure-the-server/Install-FlexRAID-v2.x.html

Since i cant register FlexRAID i havnt been able to use the drives as a pool yet though....

Offline wholeeo

• View Profile
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 USB install
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:36:18 am »
I'm also in a similar dilemma.  The geek in me wants to install Flexraid onto Ubuntu Server.  I am just concerned about read/write speeds via Samba shares since all of the drives that would be in the array are NTFS.

What can one expect in this set up vs a WHS setup as far as performance goes?  Does sharing via Samba hurt transfer speeds?