Author Topic: Cloud support: Amazon Glacier (or, easily, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc)  (Read 2345 times)

Offline balchy

• View Profile
This is a bit of a stretch, but I read about Amazon Glacier today : http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/  Looks to be a very cost effective "cold" storage option - so maybe good for backup.  But it doesn't provide end-user style "dropbox app" access, as far as I can tell

We all can sign up to a few GBs of online storage through these applications, usually they provide some kind of folder that could be added into a storage pool.  I am proposing going a bit further...

My suggestion:

Could FlexRAID be extended to support treating these online backup systems as "storage pools"

1) Extend storage capacity: could be treated as, and added to an existing pool of local/usb/lan attached drives.  Explicit folder splitting and handling of these services.
2) As an additional pool but provided to the OS as another FlexRAID drive: ease the process of creating offsite backups etc etc

In the case of S3/AWS/Glacier this would need FlexRaid to support / make use of the appropriate APIs

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cloud support: Amazon Glacier (or, easily, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:31:38 pm »
If you are able to mount your cloud storage, you can include it in the storage pool.

I had the idea of making FlexRAID a client to the various services, but that would just be a bad idea as these services change far too often to be able to keep up. Basically, these services will have to provide their own client that let you mount the storage as local storage for your OS to see. After that, you would include them in your storage pool configuration using the Expert mode configuration approach.

Offline balchy

• View Profile
Re: Cloud support: Amazon Glacier (or, easily, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:52:28 am »
Yes - I can see that.  The mounted drives option is a powerful and flexible option.

Maybe there is an opportunity for some kind of "plug-in" or modular architecture in future FlexRAID releases that could allow and help manage the issue of API changes ... ?