Author Topic: shadow copies / file locations  (Read 1303 times)

Offline pupvogel

• why the face ?
    • View Profile
shadow copies / file locations
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:49:19 am »
Hi there,

I am new to FlexRAID and I'm really impressed, many thanks for this great software !

I want to quit making any tape backups and work with RAID 2+ only, so now I just set up all the DRUs of my Storage Pool to use Shadow Copies, because I want to be able to restore older versions of modified or deleted files.

Now the problem: when I edit a file and save it, it isn't necessarily stored on the same DRU as before - if this happens, the older version won't show up in the "old versions"-líst, even though it should be there (on the drive where it was before the edit).

Unfortunately I cannot setup Windows to activate Shadow Copies for the FlexRAID-StoragePool-drive as a whole.
Is this going to work in CruiseControl ? As far as I understand, FlexRAID will manage the drive-operations then..?

If not, is there a way to check on which DRU a file is actually stored, aside from me searching all the drives one by one..? I'm dreaming of a FlexRAID-context-menu-entry to show the real location/s of a file or folder... So with that I could check on which drive I should do the edit without going through the pool-drive...

Any help appreciated !!

Cheers,
pupvogel

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
Re: shadow copies / file locations
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:56:27 am »
Good question. This will be a bit tough I believe.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.