Author Topic: Windows Server 2008 R2, VisualSVN, and FlexRAID Storage Pool = Access Denied?  (Read 3353 times)

Offline A Murder of Crows

• View Profile
This might not even be the right place to ask, but i am running out of options and places to turn.

I'm running Server 2008 R2, and i have 5 drives on the machine.  The SSD drive is the OS install location.  The remaining four 3TB drives are put together in a storage pool using FlexRAID.

I'm attempting to use the storage pool as an SVN repository, but i keep running in to an "Access Denied" error whenever i attempt to write to the storage pool using an SVN commit.

I know this is most likely a permissions issue via Group Policy settings in Server 2008, but i can't find anything out there that tells me what the problem is.  Similarly, i had problems installing software from the flexraid storage pool when i first set this up.

i am hoping someone in here can help me out, or point me in the right direction.

thanks!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As always, please provide logs in TRACE mode.

Also more detail on your configuration. Snapshot RAID or RT RAID or just Storage Pooling?

Offline A Murder of Crows

• View Profile
Just storage pooling.  I'll have to read up on using TRACE logs as i'm unaware of this feature.

Offline oru

• View Profile
I had this same issue. I setup VisualSVN on 2008r2, and found the same problem when trying to commit remotely using apache (http urls). Small commits (ie. ones which were only a couple of files and a few KB in size) were fine but usually anything larger would produce an Access Denied message. The criteria for failing wasn't always deterministic either, sometimes I could commit a large xml file, trying the same file later and it would fail. However, I had setup svnserve on the server too and found that local commits using the svn:// protocol were fine and didn't suffer the same problem.

After a day of messing about with permissions and conf files etc I finally isolated the issue to the repository folder being on the drive pool and the interaction with apache. I've since moved my repository folder off of the raid pool to a drive that windows controls directly: everything now working as it should.

I posted the same on the VisualSVN google groups before I found out what the problem was. Sadly I can't provide either team with any helpful logs as I flashed my server back using a clean disk image before reinstalling svn.