Author Topic: Looking for PCIe card w/2 esata ports supporting port multiplier and S.M.A.R.T.  (Read 5185 times)

Offline craigap

• View Profile
I have 2 Sans Digital 4 bay towers similar to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111149
I am currently using a cheap and slow esata card and would like to upgrade to something faster that also passes S.M.A.R.T data from all the HDDs. Can be PCIe x1, x4 or x8. SATA III is not necessary, SATA II is fine. RAID functionality is not required nor desired, but I don't want to limit my choices. Curious to hear your recommendations. Thanks

So far this is the only one I've found that I can mostly confirm support for port multipliers and S.M.A.R.T.
http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/satae6g.html
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:55:34 pm by craigap »

Offline KingfisherUK

• View Profile
In my experience with port multipliers, any lack of SMART data being sent/received is due to the Port Multiplier (ie. the controller in the Sans Digital box) itself rather than the SATA controller in the PC.

I used to use port multiplier card in my server. I tried it with three different PCIe SATA cards - two different SiliconImage cards and a JMB. None of them correctly reported SMART info from the attached drives. If the drives were connected directly however, SMART worked fine.

Offline nate1280

• View Profile
I use a SansDigital TR8M-B with a JMicron JMB36x based sata card (and use sata to eSata bracket) and I get S.M.A.R.T. data from the drives in the enclosure.  Its a startech sata controller, pci-e x1, model #PEXSATA22I.

As an aside, been slowly moving away from the sans digital unit as I've recently been having drives drop, and I can't seem to figure out why.

Offline GavinCampbell

• View Profile
I use a SansDigital TR8M-B with a JMicron JMB36x based sata card (and use sata to eSata bracket) and I get S.M.A.R.T. data from the drives in the enclosure.  Its a startech sata controller, pci-e x1, model #PEXSATA22I.

As an aside, been slowly moving away from the sans digital unit as I've recently been having drives drop, and I can't seem to figure out why.

I recently read a fix for this drive dropping problem.  But I can't find the exact link to the article.  But I believe the fix was to
turn off "Link State Power Management" under PCI Express in the power options menu. 

I had the same problem too.

Offline nate1280

• View Profile
I recently read a fix for this drive dropping problem.  But I can't find the exact link to the article.  But I believe the fix was to
turn off "Link State Power Management" under PCI Express in the power options menu. 

I had the same problem too.

I'll look into it, thanks for the info!  Hopefully it solves my issue.

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
JMB36x based

That might be your problem right there.  I can't use the one built into my Gigabyte mobo, it produces errors that cause flexraid to fail.  I've also seen another older thread or two in these forums about that chip causing probs.  If you can't find it in these forums check the old ones, I know there was one there.

Offline craigap

• View Profile
For what it's worth I emailed Sans Digital Tech Support to ask them if my 2 TR4M-BNC enclosures would be able to pass SMART info and they stated that as long as the controller supported SMART and Port Multipliers then I should get the SMART info to 3rd party apps.

Offline craigap

• View Profile
To anyone looking for a solution to the original question, this SYBA card passes SMART data and works with the two Sans Digital enclosures referenced above. Is a ASM 1061 Chipset. Is definitely faster than the SIL3132 chipset controller I was using.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124044