Author Topic: USB 3 Questions  (Read 1415 times)

Offline rxp

• View Profile
USB 3 Questions
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:55:06 am »
I've installed a PCI-E USB 3.0 card on my HP Microserver. I'm currently using it with 1 USB 3.0 disk but was wondering what the performance implications would be with using multiple disks or even a USB hub? I know USB 3 has a shared bus but at 5Gbps wouldn't that mean you could add a load of drives and they'd still get good throughput?

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
Re: USB 3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:10:06 pm »
I would suggest you do a search for usb here in the forums.  I could be wrong but I don't recall reading even a single user with good experiences using usb drives   :-\

Offline rxp

• View Profile
Re: USB 3 Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:31:21 am »
I did a bit of searching, I think that's mostly for USB 2. I've got a single USB 2 in my pool (1tb) and it's working fine, obviously it impacts on the calculation process but I'm upgrading that to 3.0 so will report on the performance increase.

But I'd like to know if I can continue adding USB 3.0 drives or if I add too many will it become slow as USB 2.0? Outside of the array USB 3.0 does get 80-90 MB/sec transfer rate.

Edit: Just found this test from an Amazon review of a hub. Should mean that USB 3 works well even on hubs. Brilliant news, means you can continue expanding your server with USB 3 hubs.

Using a USB 3.0 External Hard Drive 5400 RPM as the source copying to another identical drive on the same USB 3.0 HUB I copied 5 GB of data with a transfer speed of 80MB/Second. It makes no difference whether the drives are on separate controllers, plugged into a USB 3.0 port by itself, or whether the drives are both plugged into the hub. If you are like me and move tons of data around you will find USB 3.0 MUCH faster the earlier technologies including even the latest Firewire iterations.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:43:42 am by rxp »