Author Topic: FlexRaid and Linux  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Lakz

• View Profile
FlexRaid and Linux
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:30:15 pm »
Hi,
I've been testing FlexRaid on my Windows 7 machine for about a week and it was most satisfying. I went ahead and purchased a license. I'm willing to build a dedicated computer to stream files (movies, live tv stream, pictures, music, ...) across the local network, run a torrent client and host a web server.

I was considering Windows Server 2012 or Ubuntu Server. I'm very tempted to go the Linux way, but I'm wondering how well is FlexRaid running on this OS. I've read somewhere that FlexRaid support on Linux was somehow limited, and that it wasn't as stable/able as its Windows counterpart.

Is it true? Are Linux users missing out?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: FlexRaid and Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:06:51 pm »
Where did you read those things?  :o
Lies... nothing but lies!  ;D

The Windows and Linux versions have the same features minus a few things that are OS specific.
The one feature the Linux version does not have is Server Share management through the WebUI as it is not really needed. Basically, you have to create and manage your shares through SAMBA. On the Windows side, this feature is more of a workaround than anything else.

I'd say give the Linux version a trial, but settle on the OS you are most comfortable managing.
Last, whatever you do though, don't activate until you settle on the OS you want.

Offline Lakz

• View Profile
Re: FlexRaid and Linux
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »
Fantastic, that's good to know  8)

Keep up the good work.