Author Topic: Home server requirements  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Lakz

• View Profile
Home server requirements
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:55:18 pm »
Hi,

I few month ago I had the "genius" idea of combining an HTPC and a media/web server  in one same box. Now I am sick of having to take down the whole server whenever I want to reinstall the OS. I think it is time to have a dedicated server machine that does one job and does it well.

I have not yet decided whether I’ll use Ubuntu, Fedora or RedHat but it shouldn’t be an important factor for now.
I have never built anything of that sort and I must admit that I’m clueless when it comes down to hardware selection. I don’t know what kind of CPU and PSU are needed need to achieve these tasks :

- Stream medias including Blu-Ray and HD content over the network to simultaneous clients (let’s say 3 or 4 at peek hours)
- Run a torrent client, FlexRAID, SAMBA, Apache, MySQL, ownCloud, etc
- Eventually handle a TV tuner to record or stream live TV across the network

I might initially use a GUI, but I’d uninstall it to remotely control the server via webmin. So any integrated GPU will do. I own 3 x 3Tb WD Caviar Green, but the array might expand as I tend to accumulate quite a lot of data. Since it’ll be working 24/7, I do not want  to go ahead and build an electricity hog. On the other end, I do not want the power (i.e calculating speed) to be a bottle neck.

What kind of requirements am I looking at?

Offline Capt-Crunch

• View Profile
Re: Home server requirements
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:46 pm »
Hello,

I am streaming over 30 separate video streams or channels 24/7 using VLC streaming ability. Mostly SD content (DVD's) but have about 7 or 8 Blu-Ray or HD streams. I had to upgrade to a quad core CPU as my dual-core couldn't handle it and have 8 GB RAM. My network is 1 Gbps with 2 NICS in each PC and using 9% network utilization with all streams going at the same time to a single PC for now.  I also run WAMP server on the same PC.  My CPU usage is at 10%.  I just noticed my memory usage is at 7.5 GB so I may need some memory. As for PSU I just have a 450 Watt PSU.  I measured the wattage and it is at 114 Watt and I have 6 hard drives.

Offline mccar75287

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:01:16 am »
"streaming over 30 separate video streams or channels 24/7"  :o

Not for home use surely?

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:44:06 am »

You may want to consider something like the HP Microserver cheap and very versatile http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

The CPU is a bit weak but for streaming it is more than capable. Iv had 3 HD mks from it while recording HDTV no problem.

Or build around something like the i3-3220 don't get the more expensive low power one just under clock/volt the cheaper default one

WHS 2011
Transparent RAID