Author Topic: Can I restore to Storage Pool?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline A88337CDBC00C3A2

• View Profile
Can I restore to Storage Pool?
« on: October 19, 2012, 12:07:25 pm »
I have setup my DRU's as 2TB in size, which means some DRU's are 2TB drives and some are 2x1TB per DRU. I have 1 DRU where 1 HDD appears to have died. I have a Pool created that includes all these DRU's. My question is, can I restore to my Pool? This way the space can be dispersed evenly across the remaining valid drives? Also, it seems that this drive died a few days ago and I just noticed. I have Validate and Update jobs scheduled for each night. Have I messed myself up by not stopping those jobs while one of my drives went bad?

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
2.0u10r2 final - Snapshot and Storage Pool
6x1TB + 4x2TB
6 DRU's + 1 PPU

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
Re: Can I restore to Storage Pool?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:20:11 pm »
About first question yes you can.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline jrwalte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:44 pm »
If the drive disappeared from your os, then each update would automatically cease and not run. If the data was corrupting, then the corruption would be added to the parity on an update.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:30:57 am »
Although you can restore into the pool, it is recommended that you don't.
You are better off restore outside of the pool, check the restored data, and then copying that data into the pool when satisfied.

Offline A88337CDBC00C3A2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 08:39:46 am »
I tried a restore before I went to bed. I chose the DRU that was broken and I set the destination to a folder in the pool. I woke up this morning to check it out and the folder is empty and the job said it completed. :( I am going to pull the bad drive out and see if I can rescue it. Is there a way to restore individual files? Or is the only way to restore by entire DRU?

Offline A88337CDBC00C3A2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:23 pm »
Just wanted to post an update. At this point I have all the data from the drive going bad minus exactly 1 file. This 1 file causes the hard drive to just shutdown when I try to move/copy/scan, etc. Kinda interesting. Sounds like a good job for spinrite but apparently spinrite has major issues with my model of hard drive... Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB, go figure! Anyway, I am at no loss right now. The 1 file is easily re-obtainable. I just don't know what the deal was with my parity not being able to restore anything... I think am going to buy a new drive and then rebuild parity and test a restore.  :o