Author Topic: 2 questions about adding new HDD's  (Read 3794 times)

Offline craigap

• View Profile
2 questions about adding new HDD's
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:13 pm »
1. I have 2 new WD Red 2TB HDD's and I was wandering what I can do to test them prior to actually using them. Are there any free software I can download to put a new HDD through some kind of torture testing, so I can at leat feel a little confident it shouldn't fail right after I install it.

2. Right now I have:
2x2TB PPU's WD Green
1x2TB DRU WD Green
2x1TB DRU WD Green
2x1TB DRU WD Green
2x1TB DRU WD Green
I was going to replace 4 of the 1TB drives with the 2 new drives. Is this the best way to go?

Offline dean

• View Profile
Re: 2 questions about adding new HDD's
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:02:29 am »
From personal experience and anecdotal evidence and statistics I have read, there isn't really any need to torture a drive prior to using them. But if you were so inclined id suggest downloading something like dban (linux disc wiper boot cd). Then run maybe the default 3 passes of 1, 0 then random i think. Then look at your Smart logs to see if there were any issues. I dont think there is any need to use any other tool as verifying the data isn't worth the time. If you go to this much effort make sure your hard drives operate at more reliable temperatures. Google has released various findings on drive temperatures and rate of failure along with failure vs operation times, so it is worth looking through some of their findings. I think 30c max was the best compromise from memory.

I use the WD Green range for 24x7 usage. My personal setup storage pool is 10 x 2Tb + 4 x 3Tb which is mainly used for write once, retrieve occasionally. I have some spare 1Tb and smaller around but the performance loss and power usage is not justified to me. Each additional drive makes my pc ever so slightly less responsive and boot times are ridiculous.

If you can I'd highly recommend ditching the 1Tb's assuming you use > 50% of available capacity.
Yes you increase the amount of data loss in the event of failure... but backups are much easier and generally better performance.

One problem i ran into was a lack of Sata ports and I found addon cards to not be that great when you have more than a couple. Response time seems to increase. Response time kills a fast pc when occasionally it decides to halt all processes until a response is received from the hard drive. Avoid usb2 drives at all cost for this reason, usb3 I am still new to because I use sata first.

If possible I would install as much RAM as possible and use a drive caching utility such as fancy cache. It turned my laggy pc into a highly responsive one. In my particular situation it is appropriate because I allow my drives to sleep so caching the MFT etc stops them waking every time windows decides to snoop through everything.

More advice is to place permanent data on one drive and temporary/changing data on another. That way you are less likely to experience 2 drive failure as the permanent drive has more relocatable clusters available and less abuse.

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
Sv: 2 questions about adding new HDD's
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 06:54:38 am »
Hi craigap,
Is the computer a server or a client pc? Because if it is a server the the booting time is neglectable.
I have in my server 6x 1tb, 2x 2tb and one 3tb ppu the DRU's are the size 3tb.
I would monitor the drives with smart and if that reports bad signs then change the drives. Have to think of the environment and use things as long as they work.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo ssd
Transparent RAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X9SCM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016