Author Topic: Try out experience  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Barnes

• View Profile
Try out experience
« on: November 01, 2012, 03:32:06 pm »
Hi,

at the moment i am trying out the flexraid to make a decision if i want to buy the software. I have been using the software for 3 days now and put a lot of hours in it to see how it works and to make it work how i want too.

In this i want to share my experience with you. This is not critisism but see it as positive feedback. I think the product is really great but even with my knowledge of computers i had to search a lot in the wikis and forums to find the information i needed. There is a lot of information but some details are missing. I was surprised to find the interface in my own language (dutch). I did use the expert mode instead of the cruise control.

1. I had build a pararity drive from data which succeeded.
   Now i had changed some data on 1 disk and wanted to rebuild the pararity drive from scratch.
   I used to the option in Command Execution center under Advanced Commandos - Create again
   (sorry i don't have exact english because my version of flexraid is in dutch, its the second
   button). I still had old pararity data on the drive. It is then asked if i wanted to use the
   old pararity data. I say no, then i get message there is still pararity data. I thinks this
   is an error because i say do NOT use old data and i want to rebuild it should delete the old
   pararity data and build new pararuty data. Now i get exception and have to delete the data
   myself, then it works.

I couldn't find any info in the wiki about the four commands/buttons in advanced commands.

2. Export mode DrivePool option Storage Pool Merge Configuration
   Preview doesn't work. I get error
   com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.StatusCodeException
   500 The call failed on the server; see server log for details

3. Unrestricted Volume.
   I read the wiki and it was not clear on how this works. When reading the wiki i got the impression
   the volume would not be written too (hence restricted). But when i tested files will be written too the volume.
   After searching with google i found a bug report which adressed the problem by an other user.
   You replied it is correct behaviour. This should be explained in the wiki/manual.
   Also i think a restricted volume should not be written too and only be a view as you imply in the wiki,
   it would be more logical and i think wishfull behaviour. That way you can add a drive and know it will never
   be files written and filled with files till it is full.
   Also it should be made explained in the wiki that the drive you want to restrict should be entered in the
   unique volume box AND restricted volume box.

4. It is unclear how the server shares work. I read the wiki but is says i have to create the
   shares first in the os itself. But what is the use of this in flexraid itself then. I can
   set permissions myself on the share via the os too. Which i have to do anyway if i want full
   autorisation.
   If you make an option to add server shares it should create them in the os too. Now i was
   looking for it and couldn´t find it. I created one in the os myself and still had to
   give permissions via the os share itself. This makes the server shares in flexraid redundant and
   unnecessary.

5. In the log file i see a lot of java null pointer exceptions. I think these should be adressed to, so they
   don't happen again. See part of log below. These happen often while doing stuff in the web interface of flexraid.

[2012-11-01 13:10:43,961] ERROR:
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at java.lang.Void.<unknown>(Unknown Source)
[2012-11-01 13:10:43,961] WARN : Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.UnexpectedException: Service method 'public abstract com.tchegbe.flexraid.client.bean.ActionStatus com.tchegbe.flexraid.client.rpc.RPCService.previewStoragePool(com.tchegbe.flexraid.client.model.RAIDConfigModel)' threw an unexpected exception: java.lang.RuntimeException
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException
   ... 4 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
   ... 4 more
[2012-11-01 13:13:31,724] ERROR:
[2012-11-01 13:13:31,724] WARN : Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.UnexpectedException: Service method 'public abstract com.tchegbe.flexraid.client.bean.ActionStatus com.tchegbe.flexraid.client.rpc.RPCService.previewStoragePool(com.tchegbe.flexraid.client.model.RAIDConfigModel)' threw an unexpected exception: java.lang.RuntimeException
   ... 4 more
   ... 4 more
[2012-11-01 13:13:50,506] ERROR:
[2012-11-01 13:13:50,506] WARN : Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
   ... 4 more
   ... 4 more
[2012-11-01 13:14:08,930] ERROR:
[2012-11-01 13:14:08,930] WARN : Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
   ... 4 more
   ... 4 more

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Try out experience
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:47:36 pm »
1. That should not be the case. If you chose not to use the old data, it would have cleared it automatically.

2. Fixed in build 11. You can get passed this error by adding at least a data drive to the pool.

3. I can understand your perspective. However, I would have called those drives "Read-only" drives as opposed to restricted. This covers that: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/08/29/setting-up-the-storage-pool/

4. The shares setup in FlexRAID is a workaround to reconnect shares on Windows. Windows does not remember shares on removable drives or virtual drives. Basic shares can be setup in FlexRAID with READ, CHANGE, and FULL permissions. You can create the shares outside of FlexRAID with the permissions you desire and then let FlexRAID reconnect them. It is duplicate work, but necessary.

5. This is related to issue 2.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:52:20 pm by Brahim »

Offline Barnes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:02:08 pm »
I tested point 1 again. And when there is pararity data on the disk it will not delete the old pararity.
After pressing Re-Create option i get the question: Parity data detected on the PPU drive(s).
Do you want to re-initialize using that data?
When i click No i get error: C:\Disk\WD3_P contains parity data! Please choose a different directory.

When i delete pararity data on my drive i don't get this question and it recreates the pararity.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 07:58:29 am »
That would mean something has a lock on the parity data files.
Remember there are two questions. It would then ask you if you are sure as it is about to delete the data.

Offline Barnes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »
If the data would be locked i should't be able to delete the pararity data from explorer too i think. And i could delete the pararity data from my drive without any problem with explorer.
But it is not a big deal because i can delete the data myself. But did you test it yourself too just to be sure it works correct?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »
If the data would be locked i should't be able to delete the pararity data from explorer too i think. And i could delete the pararity data from my drive without any problem with explorer.
But it is not a big deal because i can delete the data myself. But did you test it yourself too just to be sure it works correct?

This is a well tested function.
Remember that in Cruise Control mode, users don't have access to their drives (so no do it yourself clearing of the parity data).
If this was not working, you would have a slew of people raising the issue.

As mentioned, you get prompted twice. Make sure you read carefully the prompts.

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »
I tested point 1 again. And when there is parity data on the disk it will not delete the old parity.
After pressing Re-Create option i get the question: Parity data detected on the PPU drive(s).
Do you want to re-initialize using that data?
When i click No i get error: C:\Disk\WD3_P contains parity data! Please choose a different directory.

When i delete parity data on my drive i don't get this question and it recreates the parity.

This did happen to me once with either this or the last update (doing a re-create in RT).  I got the 2nd prompt, said "no", then got the error.  I just reformatted the drive and then it worked of course.  It was a small matter and was completely forgotten til I read this.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 03:59:14 pm »
This did happen to me once with either this or the last update (doing a re-create in RT).  I got the 2nd prompt, said "no", then got the error.  I just reformatted the drive and then it worked of course.  It was a small matter and was completely forgotten til I read this.

"No" is the wrong answer on the second question. ;)