Author Topic: Moving standard folders using dashboard  (Read 4770 times)

Offline badsoden

• View Profile
Moving standard folders using dashboard
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:44:03 am »
I've created my flexraid storage pool, should I now be able to move the folders and shares over by right clicking and selecting move from the dashboard?

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
Re: Moving standard folders using dashboard
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:48:52 am »

They wont just move over you need to do some jiggling you can find an article here http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/12/03/accessing-your-storage-pool-over-a-network/

Its has WHS specific advice on it.
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline tommysharp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 04:46:49 am »
I thought FlexRaid "presented" a virtual drive that should behave just like any other standard drive.

SO why does all this extra stuff have to be done to get it working? I can easily move my WHS shares using the dashboard to an external hardware raid enclosure I have, why is FlexRaid not the same?

Maybe I'm just not understanding how it works properly?

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:40:47 am »

Its just not properly integrated into WHS which is a shame. There was even talk of a dashboard app to perform all Flexraid actions but never came about in the end.

I moved to a different pooling solution because on my need of better integration into WHS. However flexraid currently has the best parity protection I can find
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:11:17 pm »
WHS is a dead platform outside of its OS.
So, integrating with the dashboard was always a very low priority. It just a nice to have as opposed to a real requirement.

That said, I have plans to make the next driver behave more like a standard drive whereas shares can be managed through the dashboard.
Stay tuned.

Offline tommysharp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »
Thanks Brahim, I wasn't looking for it to be integrated into the Dashboard as I know WHS is on it's way out.

I just expected WHS Dashboard to have no idea Flexraid is in place but just see the large drive which it can use.

If you can update the driver to make the OS think it's a physical drive plugged in then that would probably resolve the issue...

Thanks.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 02:06:02 pm »
FlexRAID already behaves like a physical drive when you set it to fixed and with NTFS/FAT/FAT32 as filesystem.
The current issue to resolve is that Windows does not remember the drive after a reboot. So, things like share mappings are lost.
When you configure the shares through the WebUI, FlexRAID reconnects the shares for you, but that has been more of a workaround than how I really designed it to be.

Working on it.

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:23:06 pm »

Dude if you can get this sorted then I will be happy
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline d3maxt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:40:59 am »
FlexRAID already behaves like a physical drive when you set it to fixed and with NTFS/FAT/FAT32 as filesystem.
The current issue to resolve is that Windows does not remember the drive after a reboot. So, things like share mappings are lost.
When you configure the shares through the WebUI, FlexRAID reconnects the shares for you, but that has been more of a workaround than how I really designed it to be.

Working on it.

That is good news. Hopefully still being worked on. :)

Offline gyrene2083

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 02:36:02 pm »
I know this is an old topic but I'm new to the party. I checked this http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/12/03/accessing-your-storage-pool-over-a-network/, but it's not there anymore. Is there somewhere else I can get this info? I would like to move the client backups from D: to my FlexRaid drive (E:)

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

Offline marknel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 01:46:07 pm »
I too tried to access the referenced wiki page and it is no longer found.   Being as I am just setting up WHS 2011 and would like to stick with it mainly for the backup functionality, can anyone point out what the referenced document indicated needed to be done with WHS and flexraid?

Offline KingfisherUK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 11:01:54 am »

Offline marknel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 10:57:48 pm »
Thank you KingfisherUK.   I'm trying to read up on everything now. I ended up installing Windows 2012 Essentials and I'm having similar issues so this document should help :)