Author Topic: External HDD Enclosures?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline lamski

• View Profile
External HDD Enclosures?
« on: November 29, 2012, 01:26:43 am »
I have run out of HDD Bays in my small HTPC case and I need to add storage.  I would also like to keep the drives out of the AV cabinet as it gets hot in there.  What are my options for an external enclosure?   i don't really need an embeded controller on it as I have a couple SATA ports available on my MB and will probably get a SATA card when I fill them up. 

Is there anything available that can connect my PC to this external enclosure with 1 cable and connect to multiple drives in the cage without an extra power supply or controller in the cage (as these slow things down)?  Kind of like just moving the drive bays outside the PC case but still connecting them to the SATA ports on the MB and controller cards?

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
Re: External HDD Enclosures?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:12:46 am »

As far as I know you should be able to get an enclosure which has a port multiplier in it. You could then get a long SATA to ESATA cable and connect you SATA on the MOBO to the eSATA on the enclosure.

You may also want to consider a USB 3 enclosure if you MOBO supports it?

Somthing like this for example http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-bay-terabox-esata-hdd-raid-enclosure-224358?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=A84HW&utm_content=3.5+inch+HDD+Enclosures which incidently also includes an eSATA card and cable
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline lamski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 02:34:26 am »
As far as I know you should be able to get an enclosure which has a port multiplier in it. You could then get a long SATA to ESATA cable and connect you SATA on the MOBO to the eSATA on the enclosure.

You may also want to consider a USB 3 enclosure if you MOBO supports it?

Somthing like this for example http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-bay-terabox-esata-hdd-raid-enclosure-224358?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=A84HW&utm_content=3.5+inch+HDD+Enclosures which incidently also includes an eSATA card and cable

So, an eSata enclosure can be driven by a regular SATA port on my motherboard as long as I have the Sata to eSATA cable and my MB supports port multiplying?  I have seen some external enclosures like the one you linked but reviews state the esata card included is no good so I steered clear... But if I can just bypass the card and use my regular MB SATA port it may be better...

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:03 am »

It is my understanding that if the SATA/eSATA port supports AHCI mode it should also support port multiplication. However your mileage may vary as there is such variance between manufactures.

Buying the card and enclosure together should help reduce the chance that things don't work.

It may be a good idea to search for anyone who has had an enclosure which works well with your micro server and bare in mind that not all the ports on the micro server have AHCI mode enabled by default. To enable them you will need to update your BIOS (I use an old hacked version which works well but I believe the new HP BIOS enables AHCI selection)
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID