Author Topic: NOOB server build  (Read 2780 times)

Offline thomps33

• View Profile
NOOB server build
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:09:09 am »
I'm a complete NOOB at servers. Just for a little back ground info, I have about 200 blurays that I want to put on a server and once the server is up I'll be adding more quickly. I'm running 2 Mac Mini's running windows 8 with XBMC. Ripping duties will be reserved for a MacBook Pro or Imac using OSX. Yes, I love apple products. I've been looking at hardware raids, unRAID and flexRAID and decided flexRAID is probably best for me.

I could use some help with the server build. Last time I built a computer was back in 2001, and I don't remember much. I want to use 3 tb drives http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM001/dp/B005T3GRLY and a SSD for the OS. I want the case to hold about 16 drives. I'm thinking of using a parity for every 5 HDD's, does that sound acceptable? The server will probably need to transcode movies in the future, run CouchPotato and SickBeard among others I'm not aware of yet. Can someone recommend a case, mobo, CPU, and power supply?I don't even know where to start.  Also leaning towards using windows 8 for the server just to keep the number of OS' to a minimum.

Please comment, make suggestions, or tell me I'm an idiot and my plan won't work.
THANK YOU!!!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:12:57 am by thomps33 »

Offline h0ly lag

• View Profile

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
Re: NOOB server build
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:33:03 am »
If you are using older disks that you scrounge up from place to place, it is nice to have LOTS of disk expansion room (and hot-swap for the failures you will encounter).   This is my setup:

It is really expensive, and ugly sitting on a desk (I am sure it is nice in a rack with rails), but I really like the # of disks and hot-swap backplans of the Norco Cases.

If you search newegg.ca/com or Norco's website you will find them.   I run the Norco RPC-4020  (20 hot-swap disks, SATA ports on the system end of the backplan).   You can get a variety of different backplane and # of drive options including SATA, and SAS.

As to what computer, you put in there, H0ly's list is nice (far better than the old stuff I put into mine).

As to controllers, I tend to use ebay to find older used ones -- this is more risky due to things like LBA64 and driver support into the future.

I currently run a HighPoint RocketRAID 2320 in JBOD mode, and 2x LSI Logic SAS1064E  (HP Workstation pulls - SAS3041E-HP) and my motherboard has 6 ports giving me a total of 22 SATA ports. 

Offline thomps33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:31:45 pm »
Thanks guys! That will get me going the right direction!
I have been looking at the Norco cases but was initially put off because of the initial cost. However, I will have a rack in the future for amps and other related home theater devices so it would make sense to get a Norco case. I have to ask, since I've never experienced one; How often do hard drives have a catastrophic failure?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:52:58 am by thomps33 »

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:22:30 pm »
I think your mileage will vary and i bet everybody here has thier own personal stories.

My initial array is very old (and was based on linux/md) many-a-year ago.  I dont remember exactly how long ago, but I do recall MD being quite new back then so must be somehwere early in the 2.4.x kernel.. (2000-2002 timeframe). As such I have had many disk failures, but proper monitoring, alerting, care and BACKUPS has kept me from having any data loss at all.

This year has been a very bad year for me of all my years -- probably my worst.  Of my all disks, I have had 3 disks fail and returned for warranty (nearing the end of the 5 year warranty).   I have 4 disks that I have acquired from somebody who upgraded their 1TB disks to 4TB disks in a synology device and I think that person dropped them.   They are out of warranty and as such greater than 5 years old. Two are showing major bad sectors all at the start of the disk.  I have them in a torture cycle (non-stop r/w activity) and they have not gained more, so I will likely partition out those bad sectors and use them until they fail (risky, but I am cheap and don't want to buy new disks).

Thanks
Lance