Author Topic: Parity does not seem to be calculating after I've added files  (Read 4392 times)

Offline wrxinsane

• View Profile
Parity does not seem to be calculating after I've added files
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »
Hi, I'm trying out flexraid with the intention to buy a license assuming I can get it working for my needs. I've set up a pool with realtime mode and so far it seems like its not calculating parity after I transfer files. I added like 2TB of files to the pool and when it was done copying I looked in the info and stats section and it showed the free space to decrease on my data drive but not on the parity drive.

So I decided to give it overnight if maybe it was trying to catch up from all the copying I'd been doing. However, the next day when checking on it (8 hours later) it had still hadn't calculated ANY parity. I checked this by using the Quick Validate command. At this point I just decided to run the Update command in the standard commands to update the parity manually.

How can I know that real time parity is working, I don't see anything in the info or stats to affirm that it's doing real time calculations. Also, I am following all the info posted here: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2012/06/10/real-time-raid-dos-and-donts/

Thanks

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
Re: Parity does not seem to be calculating after I've added files
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 10:47:52 pm »
When I'm transferring I often keep the task manager open.  When flexraid is computing parity you will see it use a bunch of cpu power, when its done it will drop back down to almost nothing.

BTW, just so you are aware, RT is real-time, I have never experienced any delayed writes.  Data is copied to the pool at the exact speed that parity is calculated and written to the PPU  (this is the reason its good to have a fast parity drive for RT). 

In fact, if parity gets messed up somehow, the pool immediately goes into read-only mode.

Offline wrxinsane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »
This does not seem to be the case for me... I'm not seeing my parity updating in real time. Also running the quick validate command is showing that my parity is not up to date... how can I be SURE that real time mode is enabled properly when I'm not actively writing files to the pool?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:36:51 am »
@OP
Parity does not update automatically for Snapshot RAID.
You have to schedule the updates. Please see the startup guides on the wiki.

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:23 am »
@wrxinsane  -  Quick Validate & Update commands are not even options for me  (RT w/Cruise Control), afaik those commands are only available to Snapshot users.

I suspect you have set up Snapshot mode by accident.  To set up flexraid in RT you would follow this guide, but at the start you would chose "Real Time" & "Cruise Control".

http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/12/03/getting-started-creating-your-first-flexraid-configuration/

Offline wrxinsane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 07:44:39 pm »
WOW ok so to confirm, if I was running in real time mode I would NOT have the options shown here:

If that is indeed the case, then I truly am a complete idiot and as DrBlaze said, I must have set the pool up as Snapshot RAID by mistake.

Brahim, as a small suggestion, maybe for people as dim as I, it could say somewhere whether or not the pool is in snapshot or real-time mode, because then I might have been able to see my mistake and not have needed to start this thread. ;)  Please ignore my continued stupidity...  :-X
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:53:02 pm by wrxinsane »

Offline kitkitnet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:12:47 pm »
 ??? Isn't your screenshot included the words "Pool1 - Cruise COntrol [Snapshot RAID]" in the windows title?

Offline wrxinsane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:55:58 pm »
??? Isn't your screenshot included the words "Pool1 - Cruise COntrol [Snapshot RAID]" in the windows title?

Well I've proved myself to be a complete idiot... I literally looked EVERYWHERE for something that would identify which configuration I was in. Except for the title bar for some insane reason...

So to conclude, thank you to everyone for alerting me of my stupidity and I apologize for wasting anyones time! I think for now I'll leave it as snap-shot RAID as I don't feel like taking the time to reconfigure the whole pool into real-time mode, especially after putting TBs of data on it.

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »
lol don't worry, I made a few bonehead moves with this program starting out as well.

As far as switching over goes, I know it would take me all of 5 minutes (and I should know, due to various issues I've had to re-configure a few times). The fact that you've added data should play no part in your decision, one of the biggest features of Flexraid is that you can create the array with data on the disks.  I usually just let Create run overnight, and in the morning she's all done.

If you chose to stick with Snapshot just make sure you educate yourself on all the steps you need to take to keep it updated.  It's a bit more work than with RT

Offline wrxinsane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50:45 pm »
Thanks for the help DrBlaze, I'll have to look into the FAQs or something to figure out the optimal way to re-create pool, as I think realtime would be most ideal for me. I read something about being able to use existing parity data, so maybe that will save me some time. Although, I don't know if that applies to creating a real-time pool.

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 12:04:43 am »
I'm not sure if you can use the same parity, but you can try, it won't really change any of the steps.

When you're ready hit the "delete configuration" button you see at the top of that ss you posted, then follow the guide I showed you (but choose Real Time & Cruise Control).  After adding the DRUs, add your PPU, it will detect existing parity data and ask if you want to use it.  If it accepts it the initialization will be very quick.  If it doesn't accept it the worst that would happen is that the initialization might hang and you would have to start over (this time saying "no" to re-using parity).  Your data would not be at any risk.

As I said, if you need to re-compute parity it will take a few hours, so I usually do it before going to bed.

Good luck

Offline wrxinsane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:16:31 pm »
That is really good to know, thanks again for all the help!