Author Topic: ARM, Ubuntu, USB Drives & Data Protection  (Read 1759 times)

Offline QP

• View Profile
ARM, Ubuntu, USB Drives & Data Protection
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »
Hi All

I am interested in the Parity Data Protection but have a couple of questions :)

Will it work with USB drives on a USB hub
and is it likely to work with Ubunto running on Quad core ARM Cortex-A9 board
http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451

Thanks for your time
Dave

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
Re: ARM, Ubuntu, USB Drives & Data Protection
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:05 pm »
I will answer the part about USB but will have to leave the rest for someone else.

If you are using USB3 you may be fine, but we do not have a lot of feedback from users at this point.  A few have mentioned that they are trying it, so maybe no news is good news.

If you do a search on usb here in the forums you will read about a lot of users complaining about the extremely slow speeds of USB2.  When flexraid is computing parity, updating, verifying or validating it is reading from all drives simultaneously. This can be a problem even for some cheap sata cards, but USB2 is pretty much hopeless at it.

Offline QP

• View Profile
Re: ARM, Ubuntu, USB Drives & Data Protection
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:09:53 am »
Thanks for that DrBlaze, yes it seems USB 2 is too slow and I hadn't thought about powering the drives, it seems USB hubs aren't up to the job either

Does anyone have any experience of Icy Box IB-3640SU3 External 4-bay JBOD system
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/icy-box-ib-3640su3-external-4-bay-jbod-system-for-35-sata-hdds-with-usb-30-and-esata-host

It has USB (for the arm board) and SATA, just wondering if I could set-up the Parity with my PC connected to the SATA and then use the USB for the ARM board... until someone release an ARM board with SATA :D (at a reasonable low price)