Author Topic: Interested in Building a FlexRaid Server...suggestions!  (Read 3009 times)

Offline GFOviedo

• View Profile
Interested in Building a FlexRaid Server...suggestions!
« on: December 09, 2012, 02:23:47 am »
I built my own unraid server, which has served me well for streaming my ripped movies throughout my house.  However, I am not really happy with it anymore.  I want to do more with my server, and since I am not a Linux knowledgeable guy I want to build something that I am more familiar with.  I like Windows, and I think a server with Window 7 and Flexraid would be better.

I've searched and searched about Win 7 / Flexraid builds, but I really didn't find much recommendations.  I was wondering if anyone knows any build recommendations.  Thank you.

P.S. My Unraid server is approximately 10TB, and I am running out of space.  So, I am either going to buy more hard drives or build a new server.  Thanks for any help.

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
Sv: Interested in Building a FlexRaid Server...suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:11:38 am »
Hi, Windows 7 is Not a Server os, might be because of that you couldn't find any guides. For server tasks you can look for windows: whs 2011, server 2008, server 2012
As for hardware you can use all windows compatible.
Hope I could help you.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X11SCZ-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | i3-8300 | 16 GB DDR4 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on  250 GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 ssd
tRAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X10SLM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016 + tRAID

Offline GFOviedo

• View Profile
Re: Interested in Building a FlexRaid Server...suggestions!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 05:53:30 am »
Im aware that windows 7 isn't a server OS, but I was hoping I can use Win 7 and FlexRaid.  I thought that was possible?

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:52:15 am »
Depending upon what you want to do, Windows 7 could work just fine as a Server OS.   

The main difference between the Microsoft Server and Workstaiton OS distributions comes down to two things:  Limits and Features.   Look up the differences between windows 7 and windows Server 2012 and you will see (Eg, SMB is limited in # of connections, no advanced features such as clustering, etc).   

I personally have run several workstation OSes in the past, including Windows 7, as servers just fine.   The one feature missing from Windows 7 less than Ultimate is RDP server; however, if you google it, there are ways of hacking this in.  (I dont own a Ultimate license, only a few Home Premium licenses).    Windows 8, however, does have RDP server in Pro. 

As to hardware recommendations, there are a lot of posts here that cover that and a HUGE amount of information available on the internet covering that.  I really couldnt recommend anything for you because you also have not provided any hints as to what you want to achieve -- This I could suggest from a cheap (off lease) $200 computer from some discount retailer all the way up to real server gear for several thousand dollars.   

Check out recent posts in the forum for some other recommendations and then come back and provide some guidelines -- then the forum can help.

Lance

Offline GFOviedo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:37 pm »
I want to built a server that has faster transfer rates and better redundancy.  UnRaid can only achieve about 32 MB/s and only has one disk for failures.  Now that i am going over 10 TB of data I am worried of multiple disks failure.

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:29:30 pm »
Read/Write performance is at 32MB/s is likely not unRaid or FlexRaid or any other software bit.  It is much more likely to be a slow disk, interface, etc.   I currently have a legacy PCI controller in my system that I cant get more than about 30MB/s off of, but if I move that idental disk to a PCIe or onboard, I can exceed 100MB/s.  Of course, in a raid, if that disk is being used, my rate is 30MB/s regardless of the other disks.    In a stripe situtation (traditional RAID), you will ALWAYS be limited to 30MB/s as your slowest member being used.

But as to dual parity, i fully agree.   I run 2 parity disks on my array.