Author Topic: Flexraid on Linux with NTFS  (Read 2153 times)

Offline sybia123

• View Profile
Flexraid on Linux with NTFS
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »
I'm going to be moving my storage drives from my desktop over to a server running Debian 6, and was wondering what issues I would have with the drives being NTFS. I currently have 2x2tb DRUs, 1x3tb DRU and 1x3tb PPU if that matters, all formatted as NTFS.

Obviously the most important thing is that there is no corruption, however it seems that ntfs-3g has been stable for a while now so I'm assuming that wouldn't be an issue. Is the speed significantly slower than Windows with NTFS?

Also, what is the recommended way to move my current flexraid config from Windows to Linux. Can I just move my hard drives into the other machine, create a new configuration and add the drives along with the parity? Or is there no way around re-calculating parity.

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
Re: Flexraid on Linux with NTFS
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:30:00 am »
No experience with flexraid on linux; however, NTFS on linux i have found cuts your read/write speed to about 1/3rd of your original speed and slams your CPU with any major operations.

In practicality, if you are running a typical file server and have a modern CPU, you may not notice the difference via the network.

Offline sybia123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:40:36 pm »
No experience with flexraid on linux; however, NTFS on linux i have found cuts your read/write speed to about 1/3rd of your original speed and slams your CPU with any major operations.

In practicality, if you are running a typical file server and have a modern CPU, you may not notice the difference via the network.

That's what I was worried about.

I've moved my drives over to the other machine however I'm having trouble re-adding the drives using the existing parity data. Does anyone know if FlexRAID uses relative paths, or will it not work due to drive letters/paths from Windows? I used this guide: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2012/03/25/how-do-i-add-my-drive-back-to-the-pool-after-re-installing-my-os/

Attached is the log. I've removed the bulk of the deleted file warnings, however everything else is in the log. FlexRAID is still looking for the files in C:/FlexRAID-Managed-Pool/class1_0/{identifier}, which obviously no longer exists as I am now running Linux.

Is there any way for me to update the FlexRAID config to reflect the new filesystem?

EDIT: Running 'mount' shows me the drives are mounted like so:
Code: [Select]
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
/dev/sde2 on /home/flex/FlexRAID-Managed-Pool/class1_0/{C080CFAA80CFA56E} type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdc1 on /home/flex/FlexRAID-Managed-Pool/class1_0/{82AA1869AA185C4B} type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdb1 on /home/flex/FlexRAID-Managed-Pool/class1_0/{3C48947A4894349C} type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sdd2 on /home/flex/FlexRAID-Managed-Pool/class1_0/{027AB0457AB0376F} type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
so it looks like I need to somehow replace 'C:\' with '/home/flex/' in the config.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:07:52 pm by sybia123 »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:49 pm »
You should recreate the configuration and add the drives in the same order and configuration as you had in Windows.
Then when initializing, choose to use the existing parity data if you don't want it recomputed.

Offline sybia123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:11:28 am »
You should recreate the configuration and add the drives in the same order and configuration as you had in Windows.
Then when initializing, choose to use the existing parity data if you don't want it recomputed.

Ah, so if I don't use the existing configuration database it'll ask me to use the parity data? Alright I'll give that a shot in a few days, I have it running on Windows Server 2012 right now as I needed access to the data.