Author Topic: Invalid state: Not enough usable space for parity  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Valkyria

• View Profile
Invalid state: Not enough usable space for parity
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:30:38 am »
I had a problem that i couldn't get solved in my original thread http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,1581.0.html
So i decided to just delete my entire setup and reconfigure it. So i formated the dedicated PPU drive, and once again choose it as the PPU for my setup.
So when i try to create the raid from scratch the following happens:

The [<[create]>] task has successfully initiated... Process number: 1

Name: Data Scanner Process
Start Date: Fri Jan 04 18:19:23 GMT+100 2013
End Date: Fri Jan 04 18:19:48 GMT+100 2013
Duration: 00:00:24
Throughput: N/A

An exception has occurred!
See logs for full message.
Error message: Invalid state: not enough usable space for parity! Space need: 2725192400896

And in addition, during the twenty seconds it takes to create this raid, my PPU somehow finds 2,5tb of flexraid data (same amount as on my biggest drive), that is "000001.flxr" all the way to "002538.flxr" + flxr.meta
You dont have to be a rocketscientist to realise that i dont have a supercomputer that can parity over 6tb of data in 20seconds.

I have been very happy with my flexRAID untill the first problem started happening, and now i have no idea why it is misbehaving so much as it is right now.
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?  :(

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Invalid state: Not enough usable space for parity
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:18:18 am »
Post a screenshot of your Drive Manager.

Offline Valkyria

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:05:59 am »
I cant find the Drive Manager option. I can tell from pictures that the option is missing on my interface. I only find the "Home" button under System Control Panel, but this is clearly the wrong menu.
Nevertheless, i will provide you with a screenshot of my Raid menu.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 03:21:04 pm »
You are in Expert mode.
List the drives in each DRU and PPU and their sizes.

Offline Valkyria

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:39 am »
DRU1:   D:\
DRU2:   E:\
DRU3:   F:\
DRU4:   G:\

PPU1:   H:\

Every drive is a Seagate Barracuda 3TB drive, which of course is detected as 2,72tb by the OS (Win8).

Im not sure if this is the exact info you are looking for. If you require screenshot from some menu you should guide me through each step to find the info you want :)

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 09:33:49 am »
if you only have 5 disks total, why do you have 9 DRUs and 5 PPUs listed in your config?   I dont know if this is the source of your problem, but I cant imagine that is a good config.

Personally If it were me, I'd clean up the config first and ensure you only have your 4 DRUs and 1 PPU in your config.  reassign your disks, clean out your parity disk and try to recreate your parity.

Offline Valkyria

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:54:37 pm »
I just added a bunch of drives for perhaps later use, and because the guide i followed said it didnt matter.
However i did as you asked, but i cant delete any of the PPUs. I get this message:

Operation Ignored
PPU5 is locked and cannot be removed!

Then i reassigned my disks, formated the parity, but the problem persists!

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 08:42:31 pm »
I know you said it before but are you sure your PPU is empty and shows 2.7ish TB free?  If yes, here is what I would do next:

- Start waiting for somebody with some other ideas than Lrissman :)   but when I became impatient I would:

- Use the windows disk manager to reformat the PPU
- in FlexRaid, delete the config and recreate to get rid of all those extra PPUs
- try to create the Raid again.

If that fails, enable trace logging, redo the above 3 steps and see where it crashes in the Trace log.

Offline Valkyria

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »
Finally got time of to answer :P
It looks like it works as it is supposed to now! :D
I found it weird that it didnt take long time to create the parity data (only about 2 hours) when i have over 6TB data that should take at least 24 hours ???
Both validating and veryfying the raid says it is up and running, but why would creating the parity disk take so short time ?

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:49:22 pm »
2 hours isnt unreasonable for a functioning, fast system.     Remember that while you may have 6TB total, it is reading from several disks at the same time and only writing 1 disk full.   So really your time is Disk reads + CPU + parity write.   The writes can be the slowest part.

If I remove all my bottlenecks (slower disks/controllers), I can push 150MB/s parity speed which means my 3 TB of parity would write in about 300 minutes if my disks were 100% full.    if they were 50% full then I would only be writing 1.5TB of parity and that would be about 150 Minutes.

On your next update, take a look at the speed it shows.   That will help you.

Offline Gasman3055

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:56:39 pm »
There is every so slightly more data on the PPU than the largest DRU.

What I did with my DRUs is to reduce the size of the partition by 2.2 GB by placing a 2.2 GB partition and then deleting that partition. That ensures the PPU is at least 2.2 GB larger than the DRUs. If you use a FlexRAID parity block size of 1 GB (I believe the default), that should give you a bit more than 2 blocks to run over and 200 MB for the metadata.

I know all of the drives are the same. Are they formatted with the same block size?