Author Topic: WD Green drive? Slow update speeds? Update pausing for no reason? Read Here.  (Read 6446 times)

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
  • WD Green drives will spin down after 8 seconds of idle time.   
  • WD has a utility called WDIdle3 that allows you to set/disable the spindown time
  • It only runs in DOS 16-bit (no windows dos-window will work)

To change the spindown timing:

• Download UBCD 5.11 or greater -- this has the tool included. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
  • Burn it, boot from it
  • Choose HDD, Hard Disk Device Management (or similar), Choose WDIdle3
  • From the presented command line run WDIdle3 /d to disable spindown or WDIdle3 /S300 to set spindown to 300 seconds of idle or 5 minutes (

• This will only update WD drives
  • This will not alter your data on the disk in any way
  • This helped me significantly
  • No, I am not offering any kind of warranty or support on this utility, even if it blows up and gives your mother-in-law a black eye.

Enjoy

Offline Flexie9154

• View Profile
Hi Irissman,

Does this solve everything (including timeout issues related to green drives)? I believe WD and most HDD companies locked the controllers in order to sell the "enterprise" devices for RAID setup (even though physically it is the same, the only thing different is the controller-I'm not sure if it is just the firmware or actual physical controler).

I say this because I have seen people complain in forums about raid drives dropping and forcing resync because of spindown and also timeout issue.
Note that I have seen these in Intel raid solution (psuedu hardware) and not flexraid. Also so far I haven't experienced any issues with flexraid (except update error because of using utorrent on the raid).

Offline lrissman

• View Profile
For me, this specifically addressed the issue of 100% Active Time on the WD disks with 0.00 Disk Queue Length and a "paused" system for a few seconds.

As to Raid controllers dropping, I doubt this would have any affect -- I have my WD disks spread from normal SATA controllers through to disks running on RAID controllers in JBOD mode -- all the green ones had Similar.  (EARS, EARX, EADS, and others) 

Offline TonioRoffo

• View Profile
For those not wanting to boot to FreeDOS for this, it is possible to change from within linux as well:

http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/

Regards.