Author Topic: How Flexraid Works & What will happen in this senario ?  (Read 7610 times)

Offline sbose

• View Profile
Re: How Flexraid Works & What will happen in this senario ?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 04:44:12 am »
Brahim

I understand but its the pool that i am not comfortable with, not knowing which data is written at what location after i pool them, because right now i organize my data myself and where my OCD kicks in :-)

Offline cheese528

• View Profile
Re: How Flexraid Works & What will happen in this senario ?
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 03:18:36 am »
Just like with the snapshot RAID feature, the real-time RAID does not require all your disks to be online.

I'm just about to set up a system to make use of my 10 disks of various sizes and this feature is of great interest to me.  I was not clear on how the system would behave (either snapshot or pooling) when DRUs are offline. My idea is to conserve energy by disconnecting the power to drives that aren't commonly used as idle drives still draw about 5W.  As I wasn't aware about how offline DRUs will affect the system, i had in mind the following use-case (note I have simplified the example):

2 units of 500GB
2 units of 1TB
1 unit of 1.5TB

Configuration #1
DRU1: 1TB drive
DRU2: 1TB drive
PPU:  1TB partition of 1.5TB drive

Configuration #2
DRU1: 500GB drive
DRU2: 500GB drive
PPU: 500GB partition of 1.5TB drive

In my mind, I would have the flexibility of turning off the 500GB drives as I plan to put infrequently used data in them and turn Set#2 off completely.

I know from what I've read that the following is recommended:

DRU1: 1TB drive + 500GB drive
DRU2: 1TB drive + 500GB drive
PPU: 1.5TB drive

Based on this new understanding, FlexRAID has provisions of handling instances when some drives are intentionally offline?  For example, it won't try to treat the offline 500GB drives as either damaged, or that the data has been deleted?

I apologize if it has been mentioned somewhere already and also the thread hijack, and would be grateful if I could be pointed in the right direction.  Thanks.