Author Topic: Help with my flexraid build  (Read 2847 times)

Offline donysious

• View Profile
Help with my flexraid build
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:21:34 am »
After some research I have decided that I am going to go with flexraid for my home media server build over unraid mainly cause I already have about 13 x 2 Tb drives with movies on them. I am going to use an old computer's mobo, cpu and ram to power this build and later on in the year move my current HTPC to server duties when i upgrade the HTPC. So as such the components are an old XFX nvidia 680i SLI mobo with PCI 16 x 3, a C2D E6700, 4gb ddr2 ram. The board already has 6 SATA ports. I wanted to get an AOC-SASLP MV8 at first but after reading through I would rather have an IBM M1015 as it has less issues it wold seem. I will be running windows 7 and flexraid. I live in India and hence server cases are not readily available or are very expensive to import with the weight and customs. Ill probably be using Coolermaster 4 in 3 s on a naked drive duplicator case.
Something like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naked-Case-17-Bay-15-Burner-SATA-CD-DVD-Duplicator-Enclosure-Case-Replicator-/251065291058

I havent figured everything out yet. I just wanted to run this by others here to see if what I was trying to do wasnt completely stupid.
I am concerned about flashing the M1015 on my mobo and also about drive spindown and staggered spin up.
If someone could let me know if the card lets me do those things I would appreciate it.
Thank you for reading.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my flexraid build
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:26:26 am »
That's an interesting case. Where would you put the motherboard?

As far as the old PC, just make sure that the power supply is strong enough to power all you drives.

Offline donysious

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:33:12 am »
I dont have a choice with the case. I dont have many available here. I was thinking I would mod my current case so I could have all the cables out through a hole or maybe fashion a wooden box or something. I have a 750W PSU form my old computer. It was built as a powerful gaming machine.

Offline donysious

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:39 am »
Well that case worked out too expensive to get shipped to india. So I have decided that I would build a wooden enclosure of some kind, that probably looks like a server rack and fill them up with CM 4in3 s. That would work out the cheapest.

My question about the IBM m1015 and drive spindown and staggered spin up still stands. I havent been able to find answer after multiple searches. Some posts talk about altering the windows driver. Will that work on windows 7. And staggered spinup ?

I was also wondering about using a HP SAS expander after the M1015 as I dont really want to limit myself in terms of PCI slots. Does the HP 24port play well with the M1015 ?

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:15:24 am »
Hi donysious!

I use the modded drivers in Windows Server 2008 R2 so I think they should work fine in Windows 7. As for the staggered spinup i have not red anything about it ´. I let my case electronic do thet feature.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo ssd
Transparent RAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X9SCM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016