Author Topic: Voidtools' Everything Program - is it compatible with FlexRAID RealTime?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline bigbob

• View Profile
Brahim et al,

I love and use "Everything" from Voidtools on all my computers.  I need a fast way to locate files in my new 5.5TB storage pool so I just installed Everything-1.3.0.632b.zip (portable) Beta on my WHS 2011 right after getting my FR Realtime Pool going. 

I went into options to select what drives to index and I was surprised that it appears that it can access and index the individual DRU drives and the PPU drive but not the actual pool drive "V".  I've included pics and you can see enabling the index on V results in an error "Unable to create USN Journal on V:" but there are no errors with the DRU/PPU.  Is this because it accesses the PPU and DRU drives via a link that starts with
"C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\...."?  Does that protect the pool from direct access by programs like Everything?

So my question is did I just mess up my Realtime pool by having a program directly access the DRU/PPU or does that mentioned link do the magic that protects the DRU/PPU from direct access?  FYI, the drive manager page still shows everything as "healthy"

Finally, I'm just getting back into FR after using 1.7 for a long time then abandoning it during the rough and tumble transition to v2 Realtime Raid.  Does FR RT automatically notify you if there are issues?  I bailed about the time Brahim was adding in some self healing/ checking features into FR.  Is the Drive manager tab the best or only way to check the pool health? 
Am I deluding myself that if every drive says healthy that all is good?

Thanks

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Voidtools' Everything Program - is it compatible with FlexRAID RealTime?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:52:12 pm »
Low level access to NTFS metadata is not supported, which is what the tool needs.
A FlexRAID pool can include drives with different filesystems. As such, the low level access is not supported.

When using RT RAID any access outside of the pool is to be avoided.

Offline bigbob

• View Profile
Re: Voidtools' Everything Program - is it compatible with FlexRAID RealTime?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:43:17 pm »
I guess I should ask the basic question: Is it safe to allow Windows search to index the pool drive and/or the DRUs?

Can you recommend any file search/index programs that are safe to use with Realtime FR?