Author Topic: FlexRAID Realtime Error Detection & Notification  (Read 1898 times)

Offline bigbob

• View Profile
FlexRAID Realtime Error Detection & Notification
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:13:05 pm »
I'm splitting this question topic from my question on file indexing.

Does Realtime (RT) automatically and SIMPLY notify the user of errors?  If so where or how? 
I'm concerned that after almost a year since going commercial this is still called "experimental".

Yes, I see the not-so automatic or easy options in the system control panel to manually create and schedule jobs to run verify and email the results to me.    And I know there's always everyone's favorite of reading the FR logs. 

Basically I'm asking what is the TRUST level I should give RT with my data.

Does RT still require a lot of user intervention to babysit it?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: FlexRAID Realtime Error Detection & Notification
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:43:22 pm »
RT RAID is still experimental even though it works very well for most.
The fact that it is not fool proof is what keeps it experimental.

What's wrong with scheduling tasks to check on the health of the RAID?
Anything "automatic" would be doing the same and you would have no control over when the check runs. With scheduling, you have the option to control when verification is done.

Offline bigbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:52:42 am »
What's wrong with scheduling tasks to check on the health of the RAID?
Anything "automatic" would be doing the same and you would have no control over when the check runs. With scheduling, you have the option to control when verification is done.

Well Brahim, I would say it's the difference between having a niche product for geeks and one that's commercially successful.  When I start my computer, Norton Antivirus has a small unobtrusive icon that says it's doing its job.  If there is a problem, I get notified with a big red x in the toolbar.  It's SIMPLE and they sell millions of copies every year.  I don't have to write 50 or 5 or even 1 script when I install Norton to verify it's doing all that it is supposed to be doing.  Sure there are options to get under the covers and tweak this and that but they take care of the important stuff like confirming it's working for you AUTOMATICALLY.

FR is a great piece of software but it is not simple.  There are so many different tweaks, and oh, don't forget this or that nuggets spread all over the forum that make it very unappealing and difficult to embrace.  I guess I have maybe 3 or 4 years experience with FR and the user experience is still like ordering a Build-it-yourself Ferrari in many boxes.  Lots of potential yet dangerous at the same time.

I'm not intending to be critical or sarcastic here.  Just an honest evaluation in response to your question.

Offline Foobar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:23:59 am »
Hi Bob,

I get where you're coming from, it would be nice if certain things were fully automated and worry free and when something isn't right, for it to be more than obvious.

I'm really new to flexRAID, less than a week at this stage, had never laid eyes on it before six days ago.  Earlier today I set up some scheduled tasks to keep an eye on things - twice a day update, once a day quick validate and once a week full validate along with SMART monitoring all with emails on success and fail.  So far it seems to be working well, I can only hope the SMART stuff works as I won't know until there's an alert.

It really wasn't a monumental task or much effort to do this, sure it'd be great if I didn't have to do it but it didn't particularly bother me that I had to either.

Using your norton analogy - every now and then I have to block something from accessing the internet.  While it'd be fab if all I had to do was right click and say "block this" alas it isn't that simple.  I have to open the client, trawl through the settings, configure firewall rules, browse to and select the exe's I want to block, tell it how I want to block them etc.  Trust me I would MUCH rather be able to simply right click block in explorer and have it set the rule up for me but that's not how it works.

Back to FR - I did encounter one oddity with the flexRAID scheduler, I wanted to schedule something to go off twice a day but not at midday and midnight, I was able to select a different time but when the item was added, it jumped forward to either 0:00 or 12:00.  Worked around that easily enough but I did find it a bit strange at the time.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:51:08 am »
@bigbob
Your points are valid.
Making anything "simple" is where the biggest challenge lies. Too simple and people complain of lack of flexibility. Too flexible and people complain of lack of simplicity (i.e., too many options).
The reason why I don't have default scheduled task entries built into FlexRAID is simply because I was not able to find anything that would make sense as a sensible default since everyone's need is so different.
I am fully open for suggestions though as far as what could be good defaults.

@Foobar
For more expressive scheduling definitions, I think you have to fallback to CRON.
The standard entry way can be a bit simplistic.