Author Topic: Support "secure Edit" in Snapshot mode  (Read 1519 times)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Support "secure Edit" in Snapshot mode
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:50:08 am »
No idea if the title is really meaningful... and not sure that this request is a new one.

I presume that overwriting a file with a new version is considered as an Edit of that file ?

As "Edits" are compromising the data when using Snapshot mode, couldn't "changes" be saved in a temporary store and committed only during the RAID update ? (Similar to the Snapshot mode used by VWMare to be able to revert to a previous state).

You are actually doing something more/less similar with the "Recycle Bin mode" if my understanding is correct. You place all deleted files in a temporary zone and only delete them physically when updating the RAID.

For edited files, the "changes" (or the new versions) could be stored in such a temporary zone and be merged with (or replace) the original version only during the RAID update.

Just to clarify my scenario, I never really "edit" files on my Server. Instead, I copy new versions of those files from my workstations (Mainly during backups). It would be "valid" for  such a scenario to delete the original file currently in the Pool (with your recycle bin enable), write the new version if a temporary zone and commit this new version only during the RAID update....

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Support "secure Edit" in Snapshot mode
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:07:17 pm »
The real issue is that Snapshot RAID is completely agnostic of the Storage Pooling feature.
So, it is not designed to capture live different changes.

If you need live changes to be captured, you should give RT RAID a try in a test setup.