Author Topic: Help deciding on Motherboard  (Read 1819 times)

Offline jimmydrac

• View Profile
Help deciding on Motherboard
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:27:37 pm »
Well I had all but decided to order a Supermicro MB from Newegg this weekend. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182252.  It was a true server MB..One of the new 1155 socket models.  8)  But then I saw at frys this one by Asus..P8H67-M LE. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131712.  It had built in graphics, a PCI Express 16x, and a 4x PCI Express slot, and 6 SATA connectors and about $80 less.  :-\  Socket 1155 as well. Now my question is..Has anyone used this MB (ASUS) with a SATA Add in card like the SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8? I know it would probably work fine in the 4x slot, but what about the 16x slot? I couldn't find anything on newegg concerning the 16x slot was graphics only. I have a gigabyte ep45-ud3p that I can't use because the 16x slots are graphics only! I am wanting to eventually add around 20 drives and I will need 2 of the SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards to hit that goal.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:58:59 am by jimmydrac »
Windows X64
Gigabyte ep45-ud3p Q9550
5DRU 2TB Seagate LP
1PPU 2TB Seagate LP
Cruise Control with Snapshot Raid
Beta 11R2

Offline xylem

• View Profile
Re: Help deciding on Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:00:15 am »
 Can you post the link of each of the mobo? If you are going to dedicate the mobo for server, i would go for the server one, if you are thinkimg of a multi purpose computer you will have to analyze your need and what will happen in a few month or year...
I had the example of a gygabyte mobo  :o not being compatible with a controller card, but even supermicro support team didnt know the detail of compatibility... I had to test it myself  :o

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:52:23 am »
I have that exact asus mobo in my WHS2011 box at home with the newer version of the supermicro card, the sas2.  I havn't had a single problem yet and it's been running 24/7 for over a month now.  I'm using a 35watt i3 and added an Intel NIC.  Off the top of my head though I can't remember which slot the sas2 card is in though. 

Offline jimmydrac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:44:52 am »
Thanks Joe for in the info!  :D :D  I noticed that a lot of people switch out realtec nic's for intel ones. Is there really that big a difference in transfer speeds? Or is it something to do with latency (streaming problems)? I don't mind adding a PCI Intel nic, they are not that expensive, but I have not tested them against the realtec ones so I don't know the performance difference.
Thanks
Windows X64
Gigabyte ep45-ud3p Q9550
5DRU 2TB Seagate LP
1PPU 2TB Seagate LP
Cruise Control with Snapshot Raid
Beta 11R2

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:10:26 pm »
I don't really have any figures I can provide for comparing the two because I didn't even try the onboard lan controller.  Personally, I just feel more comfortable knowing the NIC I'm using is sever-grade and made to be running 24/7.