Author Topic: Recycle Bin Alternative  (Read 3468 times)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Recycle Bin Alternative
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:44:06 am »
Could anyone tell me if a Recycle Bin Alternative like Undeluxe (which is free) would be supported(*) by FlexRaid in RT mode ?
(*) = wouldn't result in RAID corruption.

The interesting features of Undeluxe are:
- it stores the deleted file in a directory to be configured, i.e.: possibly on a disk outside the Pool !!!
- it is implemented at the file system layer.

I am asking as I am unsure that testing myself I will detect that issues occur  :-\

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recycle Bin Alternative
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:08 am »

1. Test and let us know. :)
2. You can simply create a folder in the pool where you just move data you wish to delete and empty that folder when you want

The Windows recycle bin is an Explorer specific feature, which is why I don't support it.
FlexRAID will have an universal recycle bin feature, which will behave exactly as the program you referring to and work even on files deleted from the network.

Basically, it will behave the way the Linux version of FlexRAID works.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:36:44 am »
I will test that for sure... in my VM  8)
And report ;)

I am waiting on this Universal Recycle Bin + the stable version of FR RealTime with more impatience that ever  :P

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:58:25 am »
This could possibly be useful for you : http://www.resplendence.com/source

The source code of the Windows Driver of Undeluxe:

This is a minifilter file system filter driver which captures deleted files to a recycle bin of your choice. It intercepts file system requests used for deleting files. It can coexist with the Explorer recycle bin. Unlike the standard Windows recycle bin, which is purely an Explorer concept implemented in usermode, this driver captures files deleted by any application.

The biggest challenge in developing this driver is the ability to handle subsequent delete and "undelete" requests. An application can issue multiple IRP_MJ_SET_INFORMATION / FileDispositionInformation requests with DeleteFile flag set to TRUE or FALSE. Explorer makes use of this technique because it first wants to find out if a delete operation will succeed before moving it to the (standard WIndows) recycle bin.

Undelex can be activated on both local and remote drives. It offers filtering capabilities so only files of your choice will be protected. It works on all versions of Windows which have the filter manager installed (on Windows XP Service Pack 2 is required). It compiles and runs on both x86 and x64 editions of Windows.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:24:06 am »
My driver already implements that functionality.
The only thing to be implemented for a FlexRAID universal recycle bin is the user interface.
The low level functionality is already there.

Thanks for the link though. :)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:46:02 am »
Regarding Undeluxe...

Setup

Only the Pro version can move deleted files to a auxiliary drives and I didn't find any trial of that Pro version
So, I did test the free home version which is installing fine on a Server 2012. This free version can also not protect network drive.

Notice: the pro version requires .NET 3.5 and is trying to install it. This installation fails because .Net 4.5 must be added via the "Server Manager" interface => Add Role and Features.

Configuration

Nothing to configure with the home version. By default, all "drive letters" are protected including the virtual drive of FlexRaid (source drives of FlexRaid does not appear to be protected individually).

Deleted files are moved into a disk local folder named _UNDELUXE_

Test

I did only test undeluxe wit FlexRaid in RT mode, obviously.

There should be some issues that I cannot reproduced. Indeed, after several file deletion, RAID Verify and restart of Undeluxe, the virtual drive of Flexraid appeared to not be protected anymore. I think that I did stop the Pool while Undeluxe was trying to access the virtual drive, that Undeluxe assumed this was a removable device and didn't detect that it was back when I restarted the Pool...

1) Create a RT Configuration
2) Start the pool
3) Add some files on the virtual drives
4) Start Undeluxe
5) Do a FR Verify => All bits match!
6) Open Undeluxe. Deleted files are in its recycle bin. Recover them. Works fine!
7) Do a FR Verify => All bits match! Great...

8) Stop the Pool and Reboot the server
9) Start Undeluxe (The home version does not autostart - this has really to be tested/validated with the pro version)
10) Do a FR Verify => All bits match!

11) Copy and delete some more files on the virtual drive
12) Do a FR Verify => All bits match!

13) Copy, delete and immediate Recover some more files on the virtual drive
14) Do a FR Verify => All bits match!

So, I think it's ok... But I would only buy or not the pro version depending on the release date of a UI to manage your Recycle Bin in FR... That being said, if I dislike command lines, I am not afraid of them  :D

Not working fine:
- does not recover folders but only individual files (with multiselect support however) - maybe in the pro version ?
- when recovering files in a folder where new files with same name exist, the option - overwrite all or recover all with new name does not work. When have to confirm file by file which action must be taken...

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:32:16 am »
I would wait for the FlexRAID universal recycle bin, but I cannot give an ETA.