Author Topic: Buying my first DIY NAS  (Read 15639 times)

Offline Kega

• View Profile
Re: Buying my first DIY NAS
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 08:50:43 am »
Hey..

As I haven't gotten any replies last weeks I'm fearing that I my have used up my quote of stupid questions or just unlucky?
I'm still crossing my fingers a kind soul will help out (hopefully the final part), the PSU, Motherboard and case is still a bit of a mystery from me :(

Thanks in advance.

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 09:56:51 am »
Hi
Sorry for not answering earlier. have not been around my desktop for some days.
I would buy a PSU that has got a 80+ label but look at the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80%2B for 80+, What label you want to buy is a question of the price in regard to the label.
The reversed cable is very good to start with or if you have a lot of sata ports on the motherboard.
You can use the any motherboard you want that supports the needs you have. I can bee very good to before look if the MB supports your sata Controller like the LSI 9211.
I choose the ASUS Sabertooth because of the many PCIe 16 ports and for the 5 years warranty. Then I changed it to the supermicro more because of cosmetic decisions - there are 2 connectors for the LAN LEDs on the sever rackcase from chenbro I use.
What case to buy depends on the budget you have got and the time you think you will use it before you have to buy a bigger one. The linked one from Cooler master is a good starter with up to 10 3.5 drives mountable, of course it depends much from the price.
'The Seasonic PSU looks good, I have got a 550 Watt for my drives and that is enough also for the time when i get all my 18 drives. My PSU is from bequiet, but that one is only 80+ but it costed under 100 Euros.
My recommendations what I have are more for the final stadium or when the money does not matter ´. Think of what you want and need now and then look at if the solutions are upgradeable or you have to sell the HW and buy new one.
Hope I could help you in your decision.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo ssd
Transparent RAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X9SCM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 10:58:21 am »
It has always been difficult for me too to decide what to buy.

So, in any case, I look in shops the price of "PC" doing what I want (E.g. in this case: a Qnap or a Synology matching more or less my requirements - storage space,  throughput, ...) and define my budget based on that. Next,  I maximize what I can buy and build myself for that amount.

I spent less money on what I will be able to upgrade later. Ex.: I take a more expensive CPU but less or cheaper RAM as it will be less expensive to buy new or preferably additional RAM later than a new CPU. I.e.: Plan the "evolution" of your PC => this is mainly impacting the choice of the motherboard (more slots and ports that immediately required, but usually not 50% more expensive).

For the PSU and other fan coolers => check the noise level too especially if you don't plan to isolate your NAS in the cellar/basement :) My Server, which is in the basement, is doing so much noise that I can hear it in my room (2 levels above) if I don't close the doors ::) On the opposite, my workstation is using a Sonata and a Water Cooling kit is really quite.

Offline Kega

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
Damn it real life, steals once time - so no worries. I'm just really happy you are helping me.

My recommendations what I have are more for the final stadium or when the money does not matter ´. Think of what you want and need now and then look at if the solutions are upgradeable or you have to sell the HW and buy new one.
Hope I could help you in your decision.

It has always been difficult for me too to decide what to buy.

So, in any case, I look in shops the price of "PC" doing what I want (E.g. in this case: a Qnap or a Synology matching more or less my requirements - storage space,  throughput, ...) and define my budget based on that. Next,  I maximize what I can buy and build myself for that amount.

I spent less money on what I will be able to upgrade later. Ex.: I take a more expensive CPU but less or cheaper RAM as it will be less expensive to buy new or preferably additional RAM later than a new CPU. I.e.: Plan the "evolution" of your PC => this is mainly impacting the choice of the motherboard (more slots and ports that immediately required, but usually not 50% more expensive).

For the PSU and other fan coolers => check the noise level too especially if you don't plan to isolate your NAS in the cellar/basement :) My Server, which is in the basement, is doing so much noise that I can hear it in my room (2 levels above) if I don't close the doors ::) On the opposite, my workstation is using a Sonata and a Water Cooling kit is really quite.

Thanks to you both it all helps a lot. I always try and buy hardware that I can build on. One of the reason I ask so many questions, as I really don't what to buy a new machine every year :)
But for some reason I have totally forgotten to look at the noise level. I will do this from now on, thanks. Hate how my old pc/server is sounding.

I'm just still totally lost when it comes to the Motherboard. I was checking LSI compatibility list, and that isn't really much helpful - mostly Xeon systems.
Also I could see a lot of people having issues with it. And vletroye I think I found multiple post where you had some issues with it after updating - don't know if thats true. So I'm still quite "scared" of buying the wrong motherboard - because I can't seem to find a perfect match with LSI that doesn't cost under 250$. And even then I'm not 110% sure it will work.

So if anybody can't point me in the direction of a motherboard where I'm sure that LSI works. That has 6 SATA slots, and all the good stuff - and if it doesn't cost a lot of money it would be perfect :)

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 12:12:41 pm »
Hi Kega,

I have used my 2 LSI 9211/9210 one the following Mainboards:

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3  http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/asus_m4a89gtd_pro_usb3_dual_pc3-10667u_ddr3_90-mibbv5-g0eay00z_a508036.html

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/asus_sabertooth_990fx_dual_pc3-14900u_ddr3_90-mibfn0-g0eay00z_a646943.html

Supermicro X9SCM-F  http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/supermicro_x9scm-f_retail_socket_1155_dual_pc3-10667e_ddr3_mbd-x9scm-f-o_a645185.html

The first and third do not need any graphic cards as there are onboard. I have updated the firmware and bios on the LSI on all mainboards without problem.
The flashing from IBM firmware to LSI I did on the ASUS M4A89GTD without any problems. The Sabertooth mainboard has 5 years warranty.

Hope I could help you a bit with the decision.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 12:37:09 pm »
I had issues with my LSI SAS 9201-16i on a Asus Striker 2 Formula, combined with a Promise Fasttrack TX4660.
I did flash the LSI with the latest firmware and next, my PC didn't boot anymore...

I wrote to LSI and they told me that this LSI was not officially supported on my Asus Striker II motherboard.

I did try that LSI on a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6, in order to flash it (to downgrade), but the PC didn't recognized it and I admit I didn't try anything to solve that.

Instead, I did plug the LSI on a Asus P9 X79 Pro where it has been recognized without real issues. While plugged on that MB, I did flash the firmware with the oldest one available (received from LSI 's support). Using that firmware, the LSI started to work fine combined with the FastTrack on the Asus Striker II too!!!

So, I would write to LSI before buying any motherboard to get advice... And in the worst case, try to buy the MB on a site/in a shop, where I could do an exchange in case of issue...

Offline Kega

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 06:15:35 am »
@ b-earl: Thanks, although quite expensive motherboards :)
And it surprised me that you needed a GFX-card for the sabertooth - thought that would be standard as most CPU's has some kind of GFX build-in? 

@ vletroye: Not 100% sure what a Promise Fasttrack TX4660 - but kind of sad that one have to contact LSI to be sure a motherboard is supported. But that will be my next step. Find some possible candidates and ask them if it's supported. Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully I will get time to buy and setup my new aaaaaweeesoommee  8) server by the end of the months. Until then, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your help - it has helped me tremendously.

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 06:31:49 am »
Hi Kega!

The Hardware I buy I try to reuse in older Hardware that is why my AMD systems have had proper CPU's without graphic things. The cheaper ASUS board had a AMD Radeon chip onboard that was good. The Sabertooth has the top AMD chipset that is for the FX CPU without graphic core. But it is easy to get an cheap PCI or PCIe grapic card for an server. The good thing with the AMD CPU's for the last years has been the option to use ECC Ram. Think I will buy that for my Desktop next time and then the older system can inherent it :-)

Offline Kega

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 03:19:57 am »
Well after talking with LSI customer support I'm a bit disappointed.

The only motherboards they support are these.

Which are all server graded, meaning quite expensive (roughly 5 times more than my starting budget) and more for Xeon processors than Ivy Bridge I3/I5/I7.

Also the boards I looked at from the list are from 2011 - so quite old at the current point in time :(

So any clue to what I should do?

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 04:42:16 am »
As always the list is never up to date since my Supermicro S9* board is not on it. But they always only test business equipment. From Asus I hade the M4A89GTD which worked great with the lsi.
I can only give you the advice to try to get the IBM M1015 version on ebay sometimes they not to expensive there. (1-2 years ago when i got mine I payed between 50-70 Euros.) And then try it in the mainboard of friends to see in which mainboards it works.

Offline Kega

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 06:45:57 am »
As always the list is never up to date since my Supermicro S9* board is not on it. But they always only test business equipment. From Asus I hade the M4A89GTD which worked great with the lsi.
I can only give you the advice to try to get the IBM M1015 version on ebay sometimes they not to expensive there. (1-2 years ago when i got mine I payed between 50-70 Euros.) And then try it in the mainboard of friends to see in which mainboards it works.

Thanks for your answer :)

So I should be afraid of getting a ASUS P8Z77-V (LX2, Pro or Deluxe) or ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77?

I can even buy a IBM M1015 from "locale" shops here, to around 65€ so that's okay. I can basically get 3 IBM cards for 1 LSI 9211 card. But are there any major difference? Read something about IT and IR modes. Also it looks like the LSI has "Serial ATA-600 / SAS" where the IBM has "Serial ATA-300 / SAS 2.0" but they have the same transfer speed - if that makes any sense. Should that concern me?
But if I get a Xcase RM420, 2 cards is not enough - it will only hold 16 HDD's (Like I will ever get more than that ;))

It also looks like the SFF-8087 sticks are located a bit differently on the IBM card. Looks like they are on the middle of the card, where the LSI are located more intuitive in the end of the card.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:21:49 am by Kega »

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 08:26:28 am »
Hi Kega!

The Intel board is not wrong since Intel and AMD boards are about the same price. But then the CPU's are not. Since at least in my case the different CPU's I have  had, have been enough for fileserver and email server in one. It is best to save money where it is possible.
both cards have sata 3 speed. I have sata 3 disk connected and they are identified as Sata3.
The IBM card is originally a HBA raid card. because we use the flexraid we do not need the raid function it is best to flash the controllers with the lsi firmware and IT firmware.

About the connectors the IBM card is a LSI 9210 which is a oem card but has the same firmware as the 9211. Soi the location differ but nothing else.

Offline Kega

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 10:47:26 am »
Hi Kega!

The Intel board is not wrong since Intel and AMD boards are about the same price. But then the CPU's are not. Since at least in my case the different CPU's I have  had, have been enough for fileserver and email server in one. It is best to save money where it is possible.
both cards have sata 3 speed. I have sata 3 disk connected and they are identified as Sata3.
The IBM card is originally a HBA raid card. because we use the flexraid we do not need the raid function it is best to flash the controllers with the lsi firmware and IT firmware.

About the connectors the IBM card is a LSI 9210 which is a oem card but has the same firmware as the 9211. Soi the location differ but nothing else.

About the motherboards, that was more compatibility with IBM/LSI card. Not so much Intel vs AMD.

You make it sound so easy to change the LSI firmware and IT firmware (?) - is that really the case? :)

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 10:55:18 am »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:57:51 am by b-earl »

Offline Kega

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:37 am »
I found a guide  look at this page and followed it.

http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

here is another guide
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=db5596e3ebd58f5864d96894f9463416&topic=12767.0
Hope they help you.

It sounds easy enough.

Just to ask, do you think I can buy any of the Asus motherboards previously mentioned without having trouble with the IBM card?
I pretty sure what it won't work with my current Gigabyte motherboard.