Author Topic: Buying my first DIY NAS  (Read 15640 times)

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
Re: Buying my first DIY NAS
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 11:30:36 am »
If you could try the card out would be the best. I think they should work but do not know. As said before I have had two ASUS AMD mainboards and they have worked. I have usually looked for boards with PCIe slots at least 8 always electric also 8 with the normal boards it is usually a PCIe 16 slot sometimes they are only electric 8.
Where do you live (country) how is it with the right to let things bought over the internet go back. I know in Germany and Sweden you have 14 days. If you have some days then you could try out the mainboard and return it if it does not work.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo ssd
Transparent RAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X9SCM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 12:49:41 pm »
> Where do you live (country) how is it with the right to let things bought over the internet go back.

There is also something similar in France. That's the best option for you: buy on internet and return if there is any issue ;)

Offline PatrickVogeli

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:03 am »
Have you considered the Asrock B75 Pro3-M? It has 8 Sata ports and enough PCIe and PCIs to add some cards if needed.

About the processor... can I ask why an i7?? That's a very expensive and fast processor, I'd think you could go some steps lower and still be fine, even for Plex.

Offline Kega

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 02:17:06 am »
Hey Guys.

First thing :)
@PatrickVogeli: As I could understand from the Plex forums, I3 usually comes up a bit short if you have more than 1 client streaming from it. And I5 doesn't really make sense to me, and the price difference between I5 and I7 isn't that huge where I live. So I went with the I7 - and hopefully it means I have a great and powerful machine for years to come.

Secondly, thanks so much for all the help I have bought and set everything up and it's runs - so I'm pretty happy. I was a bit more expensive than I had planed for - but that was mainly because of the new HDD's I bought :)
But to make a "real" server setup with a X-case 424, I just need the case now (and some more HDD's).

The only things I'm missing right now is figuring out is
  • What I need to backup from the Flexraid folder if my OS HDD dies.
  • How to update my shapshot in flexraid - the guides is a bit confusing for me.
  • How to but my machine in sleep mode or hibernation from my android table or phone.
  • How to keep it in sleep mode or hibernation when "wake on lan" is activated
  • Figure out why Flexraid doesn't even out new data to all HDD's, instead of just adding everything to one single HDD

There is properly more - but I will have to find the correct forum subcategory to ask them in I guess :)
Again, thanks you so much for all the help - it helped me so much.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 03:25:59 am »
In general I hate i3, but on the other hand you are wrong that it is short for more than one clients.
No problem.

An i7 is definitely the way to go... ...if you don't have energy concerns.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline Kega

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 03:31:11 am »
I only know what I have read, and people talked about 1-2 clients being the maximum when doing 1080p movies on a I3. And the difference with power isn't that huge? I have 3770T. It should trans-code a movie quicker than a I3 and then go back to being idle. Or is my logic faulty :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:53:46 am by Kega »

Offline myjpkl

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 08:58:20 pm »
I'm new. Plan to get N40L but the spec mentioned it supports
1x 250 GB Non-Hot-swap (HS) hard disk (-s) Serial ATA 3.5"
Number of Hard Drives Supported: 4 (Not 6?)

If I use Flexraid on it, will I have fault tolerance, my whole idea is to have some safe fault tolerance to protect my works.

Have you looked at something like the HP Microservers?  Extremely low power usage, perfect for a NAS / flexRAID box.

My N40L has 6 HDD's in it (5 mechanical, 1 SSD for boot) and is currently using a massive 28W :)  I'll spin up all the drives and ... 57W.

Offline BobPhoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 08:43:37 am »
I'm new. Plan to get N40L but the spec mentioned it supports
1x 250 GB Non-Hot-swap (HS) hard disk (-s) Serial ATA 3.5"
Number of Hard Drives Supported: 4 (Not 6?)

If I use Flexraid on it, will I have fault tolerance, my whole idea is to have some safe fault tolerance to protect my works.
I have 6 3.5 drives in my N40L server.  I use a Double Twin to mount 2 drives in the optical drive bay and 4 in the regular slots.

Offline myjpkl

• View Profile