Author Topic: RT RAID down  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Mikec

• View Profile
RT RAID down
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »
Hi

I had a perfectly working RT RAID…finally and I added 2 x 1.5TB drives to the pool. Suddenly it won’t start.

1.   I’m told to Reconcile
2.   But I’m told that I must “Restore Filesystem database” first but I can’t because the status has a Red Cross. Why?? I can see the files!
3.   So I try and reconcile without and get “Out of real-time parity space error” – now what?
4.   Desperate so I try and Recreate and it says “complete” after 10s but has done nothing – I still can’t start and must “Reconcile”
5.   So I try and remove the 2 new 1.5TB drives and I can’t – the ”Remove” button is greyed out.

The last time (3 days back) it went in this circle I just dropped the whole config and started again – now I have data on here so that is not an option.

Please assist.

Thanks
Mike

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RT RAID down
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:31:36 am »
1. Make sure you have followed the wiki notes on RT RAID: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2012/06/10/real-time-raid-dos-and-donts/

2. If reconciling is not successful, restore a backup prior to the one you tried. Often, the latest backup won't work and you have to try one of the backups prior until one works.

Offline Mikec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:22:23 am »
I'm really not sure how your answer is useful. You neither explained the sudden "Out of real-time parity space" and how to fix nor did you seem to see that I said I can't select the 2 backups I took because there are red crosses next to them....despite the files being visible on my C drive where I saved them.

So this is the error still when trying to reconcile:
ERROR: [MappedParityMeta::allocate] ErrorCode=31 Message=Out of real-time parity space error for \\?\C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{2eb7133e-8645-11e2-a6ff-c03f0e41e827}\DRU1.db requested=2817782417 aligned request=2817785856 available=1155756032

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »
If you can't find a backup that will let you reconcile successfully, your only option is to re-create RAID.
The backups marked as invalid are due to configuration changes.

The specific error is not relevant as it is just a symptom of the fact that the DBs being used to reconcile are not clean.

Offline Mikec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:56:57 pm »
If you see point 4 when this thread started,  I mentioned that "Re-Create" did nothing to solve the problem so that is not a solution.

If adding a new HDD to the pool when it was working 100% causes this mess then RT RAID is not for me.

I'm going to drop the RAID and salvage the data off to a spare 3TB and 2TB drive then try a snapShot RAID config. Maybe it's more stable.

I can't believe that adding 2 new drives caused this and that there seems to be no recovery option for state my RAID is in.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:33:52 pm »
If you see point 4 when this thread started,  I mentioned that "Re-Create" did nothing to solve the problem so that is not a solution.
One sentence about what you did is not sufficient to provide enough insight into what could have gone wrong in your steps.
Please provide your logs.
Also, did you select to re-create using the existing parity data? If yes, that was the wrong option. Pay attention to the prompts.

I can't believe that adding 2 new drives caused this and that there seems to be no recovery option for state my RAID is in.
A good habit to have is to Verify the RAID before trying to expand or contract it.
Re-creating the RAID stands as a valid option to recover from the current state.

Offline Mikec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:22:38 pm »
Also, did you select to re-create using the existing parity data? If yes, that was the wrong option. Pay attention to the prompts.
Can't remember - too many clicks ago

Re-creating the RAID stands as a valid option to recover from the current state.
If you're referring to the "Button" Recreate under "Tools" then again as per Point 4 that achieved nothing. If you're referring to dropping the config and "re-creating" the RAID with a new config then I guess we'll see because that was what I did an hour ago as a last resort before ditching RT RAID. Should know in 12 hrs time.

At least the drives reappeared after dropping the config and the data was all there. Nice.