Author Topic: Direct access of files  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Izrun

• View Profile
Direct access of files
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:14:41 pm »
I have a quick question.  I know it has been stated many times that we should not write directly to a drive in a storage pool .  However, is it safe to read from it directly (found under c:\mount\Disk0\_flxr_\v\FolderName, where c:\mount\Disk0 is where I have the disk attached).

The reason I ask is more complex (and can probably be skipped if you're not interested because there aren't any questions here).  Basically, I really like the drive pooling and folder duplication features of WHS but want it on a Win7 machine because of media center (I use 360 extenders on all my TVs), plus 1 PPU.  Drive pooling is of course implemented great in FlexRaid, but I wanted to figure out a way to do folder duplication.  Why folder duplication?  Well, I love the redundancy my PPU will provide, but I wanted an extra level of security on a few files that are irreplaceable, namely pictures, documents and home videos.  I know I could just make an extra PPU of security, but I don't have enough of my big drives to warrant using another for that and plus I only need this extra redundancy on like 10% of my data, if that. 

So to fix this I created a script that made a super complex explicit merge using a bunch of virtual folders.  In that explicit merge I also made a virtual directory called \SystemData\NotDisk0,1,etc which is mapped to file mirror directories on all the drives but one.  Then, my script spits out a configuration file for the DSyncronize application, which does real time folder sync.  It takes everything on the physical hard drive in one of my designated mirrored directories and copies it to the notDiskX folders which will put it on a different physical drive. 

Thus, on my important files I have 2 physical drive redundancy without the extra storage space required.  I know this seems a little excessive (I could just buy another 2TB drive and have 2 PPU redundancy), but having the file copied in 2 locations gives me a great warm fuzzy feeling that parity drives just can't match  :).

Thanks!

-=Izrun

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Direct access of files
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:01:04 pm »
1. As long as it is not a Real-Time RAID configuration, it should be safe.
2. Why aren't you backing up straight from the pool?
I mean, you could have a folder <Pool drive>:\MyImportanData and back it up so that it does not matter which drive the content of that folder ends up on.

This would be a same scenario if you wanted to sync a folder to crashplan or any of those services.

Offline Izrun

• View Profile
Re: Direct access of files
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:18:33 am »
Thanks Brahim.  I am backing up from one drive in the pool to another drive in the pool (which is essentially what WHS v1 did).  I want to ensure that both files end up on different hard drives so in order to do this I need to know which hard drive it is in in the first place.  This was the best way I was able to figure out how to do it.