Author Topic: Copy Failure, Cannot take ownership  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Gasman3055

• View Profile
Copy Failure, Cannot take ownership
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:43:28 pm »
I am getting a failure to copy. When I try, I get:
You will need administrator permission to copy this folder

When I select Continue I get:
You need permission to perform this action

When I try to change ownership I get:
An Error occurred while applying security information to

When I select Continue, I get a long series of similar dialog boxes until I cancel at which time I get:
Stopping the propagation of the owner ….

When I stop the storage pool, all seems well. An attempt to restart gets ERROR, Need for Reconciliation …..

Reconcile successfully. Restart pool. Same thing. Infinite loop.

Back on March 12, I changed the log location so the log is disjointed.

As a bit of history, I did have a drive that gave S.M.A.R.T. warnings and has been replaced.

I also have the FlexRAID.sys.c1-1.log files but they exceed the attachment size limit.
The .odt file is the same of the core of this message with some screenshots inline in OpenOffice format.

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
Re: Copy Failure, Cannot take ownership
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:31 pm »
Sounds like you are having lots of fun, so I'm going to jump in on the action   :D

You are actually having a couple (or more) problems here.

First:
The reason you cannot copy anything is that the last 2 (or more) times you've started the pool it detected a problem and went straight into Read-Only mode.  Unfortunately the only way to find this out is by reading the log file, Flexraid is not yet kind enough to point this out :)

Second:
The type of error it keeps finding is this:

ERROR: Not able to find live info for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{bb5e9559-72f5-11e2-86b0-806e6f6e6963}\Retrospect_\Retrospect Backups\Photos HD 0712.rbf

ERROR: {"callMode": 3, "parityHandle": 449266856, "parityOffset": 96, "fileSize": 85289059456, "path": "\Retrospect_\Retrospect Backups\Photos HD 0712.rbf", "realPath": "\\?\C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{bb5e9559-72f5-11e2-86b0-806e6f6e6963}\Retrospect_\Retrospect Backups\Photos HD 0712.rbf", "targetPath": "\Retrospect_\Retrospect Backups\Photos HD 0712.rbf", "targetRealPath": "\\?\C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{3877e7bf-0357-11e1-ad2a-485b394b4652}\Retrospect_\Retrospect Backups\Photos HD 0712.rbf", "message": "null"}

Basically your parity is screwed.  Your filesystem information says the file is on 1 drive, but your parity has been computed with the file on a different drive.  This is beyond the ability of Reconcile to fix, it can add parity for a new file, or remove parity for a file that is gone, but somehow you've managed to completely befuddle it.

I had a similar problem awhile back due to wonky cables and such.  I had drives drop out occasionally, and my parity drive must have gotten disconnected at some point when I removed some data and then copied it back.  Some of the files were in different places than before, and the parity didn't match up.  No amount of Reconciling would fix it.

What you need to do now is Re-Create.  Before you do this make sure to run Chkdsk on all the drives (including PPU).  Mount them 1 at a time in Windows Disk Management, and while you have the DRU's mounted you should clean out any files that are in the  _flxr_ folders, files sometimes get left behind in there from failed deletes and can lead to more Reconciliations down the road.

Have fun   :)

Offline Gasman3055

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »
OK, will try this. Know in a day or three.

This is like the third time I have Rebuilt. Sort of frustrating. Guess it does have the advantage of not losing all data with an error. I have had the experience of a 12 disk Areca card overheating and crashing. I did have backups but restoring 15 TB of data takes a while.

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:10:33 pm »
If you have rebuilt it a few times then I think DrBlaze idea to run chkdsk is very good since if there are bad sectors they will mess around.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X10SLM-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | Xeon E3-1231 v3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo ssd
Transparent RAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X9SCM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016

Offline Gasman3055

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »
Rebuild did not fix. ScanDisk of all drives and looked at each _flxr_ folder – none of which had anything in them.

If I must, I can hold my breath and format all of the drives and create a new array. The FlexRAID pool is being used as the backup of a RAID-6 protected array but as you probably know, RAID-6 does not protect against all failures.

The attached log continues from where the previously posted log left off.

Offline Gasman3055

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:07:54 am »
I have managed to find room for all data current on the array (if that's what you call it). I am going to format all drives and start over. See what happens then.

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:06 am »
You are getting the same errors as before, and with the same 2 drives.  It looks like those 2 drives have a lot of files in the root directories with identical names and that is messing flexraid up.  Its trying to make that into 1 big pool, but with so many files with the same names in the root directory its having problems.  If you want to store multiple copies of the same files it might be better to put 1 set in a directory on the 2nd drive instead.