Author Topic: Cannot initialise array and start pool. Ubuntu server 12.04  (Read 6494 times)

Offline ajburnet

• View Profile
Re: Cannot initialise array and start pool. Ubuntu server 12.04
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 08:06:49 am »
How do I do that?

Why would it be creating it with an invalid file size if the PPU had been formatted and it was being built from scratch?

Thanks,

Alex

Offline ajburnet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 11:54:58 pm »
Hi,

Well I'm at a complete and utter loss then.

I've provided all the available logs, I've run extended WD drive tests - only one disk showed issues (replaced with a new drive) and it passed all other drives with no errors - this is the only test that the manufacturer considers valid. Extended SMART tests now show absolutely no errors also. Burn tests and memory tests all passed, no errors.

What detail are you referring to? Saying you need more detail but not specifying what detail isn't too helpful as I'm sure you can appreciate.

If no available tests show errors, then how am I supposed to diagnose anything exactly? FlexRAID's error reporting doesn't seem particularly insightful. All I am left with is throwing money at it and replacing every component with no justification which is not acceptable.

Can you provide some more useful suggestions rather than 'more detail' please (baring in mind the tests already run).

Many thanks,

Alex.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:02 am »
Individual tests are just partial.
You need to test for how FlexRAID operates.

Some systems crumble under the load of FlexRAID while they appear to work fine on light usage.
Usually, this could be due to insufficient power supply or the disk controller not being able to cope with the I/O load.

The error reported by FlexRAID is complete and proper. It is having issues reading the data. Nothing less nothing more.
Why-and-how are things for you to figure out external to FlexRAID.

Offline ajburnet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 01:16:52 am »
Okay - so let's look a this objectively. Individual tests for all drives, controller etc. have passed. The PSU is 800w and running only 6 drives - it is a year old so risk that this is failing is fairly slim. The controller and PSU and all other hardware have not changed - so for the controller to pass all manufacturer tests and be able to deliver good benchmark results (I/O) I'm struggling to understand the root cause.

You say I have to test in a manner which is consistent with FlexRAID but you fail to say WHAT that test would be. Forgive me - but your approach seems to me to be 'it's not my baby, its something else - go figure it out yourself'. Look at the rate of activity in this forum - help from others is very limited I'm afraid, hence a month and no progress. That's not to say I'm not grateful but the rate of activity is low on these forums, at least in the Linux space.

Even if it does turn out to be an issue, all I'm getting is, well nothing by way of support. All I am actually asking for - if the tests I've run are insufficient, is some advice (given you are the ace at how FlexRAID operates) on how to progress - i.e. what tests I should perform next.

If this is really it, I'm at a complete loss, and the only option is to dump FlexRAID and try a product with a superior level of support. Waiting for others on this forum (I'm a month on now) could be six months on - I obviously can't wait that long. While I'm no Linux ace, I have decades of IT experience and degrees - I'm no complete novice. I have also picked my team IT team at work (I manage a global support operation so I know a little of how support and technical diagnosis work!) and no particular ideas have come to mind.

So - one last time, can you recommend any specific tests (or tools) to run -  these things are always a process of elimination so given the tests I've run (which have passed individually) do you have any advice as the expert here?

To summarise I have run:

- extended SMART tests (all remaining drives passed)
- WD drive test (passed)
- mem test (passed)
- controller test utility (supermicro, from DOS environment) - no issues identified
- benchmarks on all drives - all good individually

Not sure how to test for PSU but again, what can / should be tested before this as the risk here appears low (although I accept certainly not impossible).

Many thanks,

Alex.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 01:47:08 am »
The last I checked, you did not pay for support. Or did you? ;)

I advised you in PM to detail your issues for community support.
The mistake that people make here is to post with questions directed to me as opposed to asking for community help.
This prevents others from providing valuable inputs.

If you expect for me to resolve your hardware issues, you are very much out of luck.
I do that from time to time as being a member of this community, but this is far from an obligation.

You can scream that your hardware is perfect, but FlexRAID is having issues reading the data, and that's where it pretty much ends.
There is nothing FlexRAID can do to stop your system from throwing I/O errors. These things are governed by your OS and FlexRAID just echos them.

By tests suitable for FlexRAID stability, I mean running concurrent I/O operations for hours just like FlexRAID does.
How you would do that, I am not sure on top of my head, but you could ask here for pointers.
Actually, FlexRAID itself is the best tool for the test. If it fails as you are seeing with EOF errors and whatnot, then there is an issue.

So:
1. Start with the full detail of your configuration (include screenshots)
2. Do a Create with logs in TRACE mode (delete all your logs before)
3. Post the full logs if you have any issue since the Create operation

Since we are not with you on that system to know what is being done, the logs might provide some clues through the history of executed operations.
Otherwise, there is far to little to go from.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:49:10 am by Brahim »

Offline ajburnet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 02:08:45 am »
No - I didn't - but then I do expect a licensed product (with a not insignificant fee paid) to have some level of basic support behind it, and if I recall - you don't offer per case support it so I don't have that choice remember! ;)

The reason posts get slanted directly to you (I would surmise) is that the community (in the Linux space, can't speak for Windows) is pretty inactive. My experience with unRAID in terms of community support was vastly different. If you don't get a response from the community inside of a month then I wouldn't be surprised if customers approach you directly - you are seen as the expert and presumably want to keep customers happy! We have screaming family members remember - a month later they are about to revolt!!

btw - I am no longer seeing any EOF errors since I swapped the dodgy drive out - in fact I am seeing NO errors in the logs other than the error seen in the GUI. I will re-run in TRACE mode and re post them again.

I am moving house so may be a little while till I can re-run them!

Thanks for the suggestion - thats what I was hoping for!!!

Alex

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 03:42:38 am »
Linux community is indeed slim here right now.
We really really hope it grows and actually hope you could be part of that (given your degrees).

Indeed there is no real paid option yet for extended support. This will change in the future.
That said, there is always a point where a product's support team will say "well it's your system, so you have to deal with it".
Follow the instructions Brahim gave you, I hope it leads somewhere.

This is coming from someone that HAS HAD (and still has) hardware issues with my server and indeed FlexRAID did push them to surface.
Remember FlexRAID (esp. the real time versions inc. the upcoming one), is a few layers over the layer where a hardware RAID controller stands and still provides same (or better) functionality. Yet this load is not going on a RISC chip on a card but on the OS and CPU. It's a trade we know we make. Also the I/O for parity goes all the way up to OS (that would not happen with hardware RAID).

This will become better with tRAID as it goes right on the kernel (on Windows, I suspect something similar in Linux), so it will be more "effective".

Now I was planning to talk about unRAID since you mentioned it (and felt like you stepped on my toe for my reasons), but that's another story. :)
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline ajburnet

• View Profile
Cannot initialise array and start pool. Ubuntu server 12.04
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 07:11:23 am »
Cheers - happy to follow Brahim's suggestions - fingers crossed it will help get to the root cause.

Re helping the linux community, hopefully in time, my point was while not an IT newbie I am currently no Linux guru!!

Offline ajburnet

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »
Okay - so I finally set everything up again at the new house, set logs to trace and did a CREATE. With no h/w changes (since the last fail), the CREATE and PPU creation succeeded! Weird.

My config:

h/w: Supermicro SAS card, Gigabyte MX870 mbrd, AMD FX CPU, 8GB RAM. Ubuntu server 12.04.2. 9 HDD drives, average internal temperature in rack currently 15c (drives at 22-24c).

FlexRAID config:

See attached screen shots.

The update last night also succeeded. I have noticed that on boot the SAS controller card occasionally times out which makes me wonder if that is the remaining cause? I identified one drive with faults which I swapped out at the beginning of this post. As the controller card appears to be working I will update its firmware and re-seat and see if that helps.

I will keep trace logs on for a few days to see how things go.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks,

Alex.

Offline ajburnet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 08:16:26 pm »
Subsequent nightly UPDATES appear to be successful, although FlexRAID crashes nightly (at the same time the UPDATE runs).

I will post a new topic as it may not be related once I have some more useful information to go on.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:35:58 pm by ajburnet »