Author Topic: Help! All data lost??  (Read 1586 times)

Offline bluesky2006

• View Profile
Help! All data lost??
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:38:09 pm »
I recently came home to find that my server had stopped working. It was having issues with grub that I couldn't resolve, so I imaged an older backup onto the drive (an SSD) and got it up and running again.

This is something I've done before with no issue - but this time it thinks my drives are empty. The FlexRAID storage pool loads correctly but nothing shows. Even trying to look at the drives using a file manager or in CLI it doesn't see anything. What's more, as I have Sickbeard and SABnzbd installed and set to download tv episodes automatically, it had started downloading some files onto the "blank" drives before I realised, so I'm worried it may have started overwriting the data that's on there with new files.

I noticed when I put the reimaged drive back in and started my server up that there was a lot of drive activity before it fully booted, and I'm worried it was formatting the drives for some reason. Is this likely??

I'm a bit scared to do anything with the FlexRAID restoring functions as I'm hoping this may just be a case of a driver or package being missing from the reimaging. Can anyone help? I'm panicking because I had lots and lots of data on these drives that is irreplaceable!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help! All data lost??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 06:23:16 am »
How many drives are affected?
Something might have screwed the boot records.

Google TestDisk and see if it can help you out.

Offline bluesky2006

• View Profile
Re: Help! All data lost??
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 03:49:00 am »
My 2 non-parity drives both got zapped but the parity drive is fine for some reason. I'm running a data recovery program now but so far only 1/4 of one of the drives has been totally recoverable - the rest is in bits and pieces.

Why would screwy boot records cause formatted drives tho??