Author Topic: Announcing Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™) - Official RC Released  (Read 80037 times)

Offline pete248

• View Profile
This looks interesting. So this means that we still have a dedicated PPU, (so if more than 2 drives fail the whole array is not lost like normal RAID as parity is not distributed), and we have on the fly rebuilding of the failed drive in a degraded array? Pretty awesome. Is there a function for a hot spare so if a drive fails it can start rebuilding to a spare drive straight away? Also will there be an option to move between RAID levels? (within reason, for example 5->6?) Can't wait to try this.

Offline lestat11

• View Profile
Will traid be able to pick up on small data changes in files like film meta data files?

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
This looks interesting. So this means that we still have a dedicated PPU, (so if more than 2 drives fail the whole array is not lost like normal RAID as parity is not distributed), and we have on the fly rebuilding of the failed drive in a degraded array? Pretty awesome. Is there a function for a hot spare so if a drive fails it can start rebuilding to a spare drive straight away? Also will there be an option to move between RAID levels? (within reason, for example 5->6?) Can't wait to try this.

AFAIK FlexRAID will always be a variation of RAID4 (to retain the parity in a single drive - or more separate PPU).
FlexRAID never was RAID5 or RAID6.
Way to add more PPU (double parity etc.): Yes.
Hot-Spare: Yes.

Will traid be able to pick up on small data changes in files like film meta data files?

tRAID is block based. Doesn't know files.
So: Yes.

---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline pete248

• View Profile
AFAIK FlexRAID will always be a variation of RAID4 (to retain the parity in a single drive - or more separate PPU).
FlexRAID never was RAID5 or RAID6.
Way to add more PPU (double parity etc.): Yes.
Hot-Spare: Yes.

Ah yes this makes sense, I always forget that RAID4 exists when trying to describe FlexRAID! This is awesome then, I was thinking of switching over to OpenMediaVault because of the on the fly rebuild and hotspares (and having a few problems with FlexRAID itself) but now i'm going to wait to try this out!

Offline Elpee

• View Profile
No pricing has been set yet.
That's what I thought. It depends on users.
The more people rate it high thru RC the higher the price will be and vice versa.

Before I show this image:

So, what is the advantages that I can see from RAID-F?
-) Read/Write Speed Improvement?
-) Changes and Recovery limitation (Snapshot RAID specify)
-) Support Degrade mode (lost 1 DRU, can still access the whole pool?)
-) Support preallocation like TeraCopy?
-) Other??

And any limitation we'll see in tRAID like RAID-f?
You're free to speak, but IMHO, the image you showed here is definitely not appropriate in this thread. We pay for their hard working. It's fair enough.

Offline JuggalotusHeat

• View Profile
Anyway to get this today? haha I really wanna try this out because of my WMC recording issues :)
UNOFFICIAL FlexRAID IRC Channel irc.freenode.net #FlexRAID

Offline ninja6o4

• View Profile
    • My tRAID config
I'm also anxious to try this asap - I am just building my server now and would love to give this a shot vs. doing FlexRAID and then upgrade to tRAID after (if that is even possible or easy to do.)

I tried sending an email through the contact page but got no response :(
My tRAID config: http://i.imgur.com/6UL9GF4.png
Case: Supermicro SC846 24 Bay 4U
MB: Asus Q87E/CSM
CPU: Intel i7-4771
RAM: 4x 8GB
HBA: Dell H310, IT fw
HDD: 8x+2x 3TB WD Reds (tRAID), 2x Samsung 256 Pro SSD (Boot), 2x 1TB WD Blacks, 1x 640GB WD Black
PSU: Corsair HX750w

Offline pete248

• View Profile
Anyway to get this today? haha I really wanna try this out because of my WMC recording issues :)

Likewise, just reconfigured my server and would love to get my hands on this asap!

Offline knewknow

• View Profile
Brahim, can you shed some light on whether this June 1st update will also contain the updated pooling system that you've been working on?

Thanks again..

Offline Elpee

• View Profile
Many questions but no answer so far.
One more question here  :)
How about the expiration? One year like RC versions of Microsoft?

Offline liq456

• View Profile
How do we test traid without destroying our existing parity PPU?

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
How do we test traid without destroying our existing parity PPU?

You can't.
Do it on a test system.
Or just switch to tRAID.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline liq456

• View Profile
You can't.
Do it on a test system.
Or just switch to tRAID.

Could you tell me why I would want traid vs snapshot raid? I mostly use flexraid for media storage.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
Read what tRAID does.
That snapshot RAID is good for static data, doesn't mean tRAID isn't.
tRAID is more "proper" RAID. Everything fits in a scenario and some fit in more than one.
Your choice.

I invert the question: Why test it if you think you don't need it?

---
NLS

Offline fiosraid

• View Profile
Read what tRAID does.
That snapshot RAID is good for static data, doesn't mean tRAID isn't.
tRAID is more "proper" RAID. Everything fits in a scenario and some fit in more than one.
Your choice.

Ok, I want to make sure I understand what tRAID does.

Currently, I use flexRAID for the pooling function even though I have a full license.  I use snapraid because I want to organize the files on the specific drives that I want them stored.

From what I understand, tRAID will allow me to do that.  I can move & store files to the specific drives that I want and the parity drives will be constantly updated?  Also, can tRAID use more than 2 parity drives?

Thanks.