Author Topic: Announcing Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™) - Official RC Released  (Read 81463 times)

Offline roirraWedorehT

• View Profile
Re: Announcing Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™) - Official RC Released
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2013, 01:23:36 pm »
Hi!  Thanks for your work!

Just as a background, I've been using Windows 8's Storage Spaces in Parity mode with ReFS (taken from Windows Server 2012) for about 6-7 months now.  I've got 99.6% of 7.79 gigs used so I'm playing with Server 2012 R2 Datacenter (with Server Essentials role enabled), I bought three 3 gig hard drives, am going to set them up as a Storage Space using something in this desktop server, transfer everything over from the other PC/hard drives, and then steadily add some of those hard drives (basically four 1GB, five 640GB).

Although it's tempting to use NTFS and have a smaller cluster size and so less file slack, I would like to consider staying with ReFS.

http://openegg.org/2013/02/21/flexraids-raid-f-vs-nzfs/ says that both RAID-F and tRAID support any filesystem.  I just wanted to make sure before I play with tRAID tonight if it does indeed work with ReFS?

Sorry for the long intro.  I hope with or without ReFS, tRAID is what I'm looking for and I look forward to buying it when it's final  if it is.

Cheers!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2013, 01:50:06 pm »
If you wish to use ReFS, make sure the storage pool is set to ReFS as file system.
Outside of that, Transparent RAID is file system agnostic.

Offline Griff1324

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 09, 2013, 01:42:24 pm »
I am setting up my traid array for the first time.  To start, I added a 4 TB and 3 TB drive that are practically full of data as my first two DRUs and one 4 TB PPU.  I created the array and opted to perform the verify and sync to create the parity drive.  FlexRaid is showing a Throughput of 53 MB/s.  At this rate, it is going to take about 40 hours to create the parity for 7 TB of data.  Is this a reasonable throughput or should I be getting better performance?

I am running Win Server 2012 in a virtual machine which has 4 GB of RAM assigned to it.  I am using a Marvell aoc-saslp-mv8 sata card to connect my drives to.  All of the drives are Seagate 7200 RPM drives. 

Offline Griff1324

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 09, 2013, 02:39:58 pm »
I aborted the verify and sync.  Deleted the array and started over.  This time, I opted to create the raid parity.  Now I am getting a throughput of 133 MB/s.

Offline SirMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 09, 2013, 02:44:47 pm »
I aborted the verify and sync.  Deleted the array and started over.  This time, I opted to create the raid parity.  Now I am getting a throughput of 133 MB/s.

Something's up.  Verify and Sync in the worst case should be the same speed as Create, but on average it should be quite a bit faster.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2013, 12:07:43 pm »
Something's up.  Verify and Sync in the worst case should be the same speed as Create, but on average it should be quite a bit faster.
Not really. There cases where Verify & Sync will be slower than Create and hence why Create is the default.
Verify & Sync is faster on zero'ed out drives or drives that previously were part of a parity compute.

Offline AVTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »
Hi, I was looking to try t-Raid on my 2K8 R2 server, but have gotten a 404 error on the download links. I've set up and currently testing a SM server and looking for a good setup that provides protection for my data.

Lots of good info here! :)

Offline roirraWedorehT

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2013, 01:05:57 pm »
Check this section for the latest http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/board,17.0.html

Offline murda

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2013, 04:17:12 pm »
Hi,

How many parity drives can I set? Should I always pick the biggest drive as parity drive?
I am new to flexraid/tRAID and I would setup about 12 disks with various size (250GB-500GB-1TB).

thanks

Offline roirraWedorehT

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2013, 05:07:06 pm »
I believe as many as you want, and yes, always the biggest, or at least equal to the biggest data drive.

Offline roirraWedorehT

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2015, 04:17:58 am »
no solution ...largest data drive

Hi. Is that a question or just SPAM?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2015, 05:39:51 am »
Hi. Is that a question or just SPAM?
Spam indeed. They are getting sneakier and sneakier.

Online vestige

• View Profile