Author Topic: Announcing Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™) - Official RC Released  (Read 81468 times)

Offline liq456

• View Profile
Read what tRAID does.
That snapshot RAID is good for static data, doesn't mean tRAID isn't.
tRAID is more "proper" RAID. Everything fits in a scenario and some fit in more than one.
Your choice.

I invert the question: Why test it if you think you don't need it?

That was my thinking as well, why test it, I don't think I fully understand or the benefits have not clearly been expressed for me to make an informed decision. I was reading http://www.openegg.org/2013/02/21/flexraids-raid-f-vs-nzfs/ and it says you can not upgrade from a smaller drive to a larger drive without affecting parity, what exactly happens when I want to upgrade a drive?

Offline JuggalotusHeat

• View Profile
That was my thinking as well, why test it, I don't think I fully understand or the benefits have not clearly been expressed for me to make an informed decision. I was reading http://www.openegg.org/2013/02/21/flexraids-raid-f-vs-nzfs/ and it says you can not upgrade from a smaller drive to a larger drive without affecting parity, what exactly happens when I want to upgrade a drive?

You rebuild the parity... But remember your parity drive has to be equal or larger to your largest data drive
UNOFFICIAL FlexRAID IRC Channel irc.freenode.net #FlexRAID

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
tRAID is block based. It sees disks not files.
It hides the physical disks and mounts virtual disks protected from parity PLUS it makes for you a pool virtual disk.
You should use the pool disk, but with limitations (disabling a cache) you can also use the protected disks as single (this is what I do actually).
It will be able to use more PPU.

---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
And some a bit bad news: There is a possibility that RC release will get a small delay. Brahim was out of office for a few days so couldn't prep the release.
Not long now though.

What I can tell you though, is that the core seems to be working fine, I use it on a production machine and have stressed it quite a bit.

---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline JuggalotusHeat

• View Profile
Bummer. I was really stoked to give this a try over the weekend. :(
UNOFFICIAL FlexRAID IRC Channel irc.freenode.net #FlexRAID

Offline drammff

• View Profile
And some a bit bad news: There is a possibility that RC release will get a small delay. Brahim was out of office for a few days so couldn't prep the release.
Not long now though.

What I can tell you though, is that the core seems to be working fine, I use it on a production machine and have stressed it quite a bit.

Ohhhhhh!!!

Currently I'm working with a trial license of RAID-f, waiting for release of RAID-t to buy a "combo" license. So depending on delay of RC release I will be in trouble  :o

More info will be really appreciated.

Any solution / suggestion?

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
What combo license? tRAID is a different product.
---
NLS

Offline drammff

• View Profile
I don't know, no info about license options, this is the problem. That's why I'm asking for more info so I know what to do. Is it possible?

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
I am sure Brahim will define the pricing and licensing options while in RC cycle.
But I can tell you tRAID is a separate product so I don't see a "combo" license coming.

There is no thing as "migration" or anything like that. Data stay (as both FlexRAID and tRAID do NOT require you to format disks), but parity will need to be recreated.
So I don't see how you correlate the two products.

If FlexRAID fits you, buy it. There WILL be a loyalty discount if tRAID fits you better.
If not and tRAID does fit you, then wait for tRAID. Simple.
---
NLS

Offline drammff

• View Profile
So I don't see how you correlate the two products.

Sorry, when I talk about "combo" I mean pool +  raid option of RAID-f whatever will be its name in new RAID-t licensing options.

According to the info about both products I've readed, it seems RAID-t fits better for me.

Thanks for the info.

Offline cg2101

• View Profile
For tRAID, does it handle and repair bitrot like FlexRAID RAID-F can?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that tRAID will not protect you from Bitrot, but maybe I'm mistaken or that's changed.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Update:
Hey guys, due to some unplanned travels I am having to push the release back a week. :(

My goal was to have some documentation ready along with some video tutorials, but that simply did not happen.
So, rather than releasing something not properly documented coupled with me being absent while you have millions of questions, we will just postpone the release a week.

Thanks.

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
Update:
Hey guys, due to some unplanned travels I am having to push the release back a week. :(

My goal was to have some documentation ready along with some video tutorials, but that simply did not happen.
So, rather than releasing something not properly documented coupled with me being absent while you have millions of questions, we will just postpone the release a week.

Thanks.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :'(

Offline Elpee

• View Profile
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Offline Monkeypox

• View Profile
I would love to see a side-by-side comparison when the product is released for sale to help consumers decide which product is best for them.