Author Topic: Distribution-based release, similar to unRAID  (Read 2585 times)

Offline EGOvoruhk

• View Profile
Distribution-based release, similar to unRAID
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:41:35 pm »
I'm upgrading my home server in the next few weeks, and I was looking at unRAID. The thing I liked about it most, was that it came as an entire OS with very minimal system requirements. Since I am switching my server over to ESXi, this would come in very handy. I could allocate the bare minimum it needed to run, leaving the rest of my system's resources for my other virtual machines

Now that I found tRAID, I am now thinking about that as an option, however, it requires me to already have an OS setup before I can use it. Now I'll have to set up a barebones Linux install, with just the dependencies I need, and that will take more time. It will also be more of a pain from a vendor support standpoint, when dealing with issues with the system. With a distribution based model, you know what you're dealing with on every install, versus essentially an infinite number of types of installs on the program only based model. Plus, if you're looking to steal users from unRAID, this would make the transition easier

Note: I'm not saying to exclusively release it as a distribution, but to have a (supported) distro-based option available, side by side with the program only release

Feature request: http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=312
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:36:32 pm by EGOvoruhk »

Offline avilada

• View Profile
Re: Distribution-based release, similar to unRAID
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:20:46 am »
+1

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:24:04 am »
This will eventually come, not yet though.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline avilada

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:13:52 am »

Nice to hear that. it'd be a good thing a linux mint virtual appliance of traid  ;D

Offline EGOvoruhk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:38:31 pm »

Any idea as far as where it sits in order of priority? I had some drives start dying, so I couldn't wait to upgrade, and finally finished migrating to unRAID, and it's... garbage. Complete garbage. Out of the box performance is abysmal, documentation/support is even worse, and I'm just ready to jump ship as soon as I can  :-\

Bonus points (and money!) if there's some sort of built in data migration tool. I know tRAID takes drives with data already on it, and with it coming to Linux, I assume it'll read ReiserFS drives. With ReiserFS no longer really actively being developed, I'd love to switch to something like Btrfs (when it matures). So just let me throw in a few new blank drives, format those to Btrfs/ZFS/Whatever, and then have tRAID automatically migrate all the data off the old drives to the new ones, and then when an old drive empties, format it to the current filesystem, add it to the array, and then continue to the next drive. Now there's a pipe dream  ;D