Author Topic: HFS+ Filesystem support under Linux  (Read 4902 times)

Offline adamlwatson

• View Profile
HFS+ Filesystem support under Linux
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
I've searched through the wiki and performed multiple google searches, but I can't seem to find a definitive list of filesystems supported under Linux. I know that ext4 is supported, but I'd like to be able to share out the storage pool to MacOS X clients using HFS+ (non-journalled). I can format and mount r/w HFS+ (non-journalled) drives under Ubuntu—will FlexRAID allow me to create a storage pool with these disks?

Thanks in advance.

Offline juise

• View Profile
Re: HFS+ Filesystem support under Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »
My understanding of FlexRAID is that it's handling things at a much higher level then the filesystem. So it doesn't care what filesystem you're using. Be warned though, FlexRAID is currently forcing your hand into older builds of Ubuntu because the stupid DRM wont work with 13.04.

How are you planning on sharing these share's with the other Macs? I ask this because network file sharing protocols like samba, also dont care what filesystem you're using. So you can share an ext4 drive with you Mac via samba and it will be transparent to your Mac.

Offline adamlwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Juise.

My understanding of FlexRAID is that it's handling things at a much higher level then the filesystem. So it doesn't care what filesystem you're using. Be warned though, FlexRAID is currently forcing your hand into older builds of Ubuntu because the stupid DRM wont work with 13.04.

Interesting—I've not yet been able to get FlexRAID to recognize that the HFS+ disks are mounted. It only sees my boot drive. However, I'm going to try to format the drives on an actual Mac instead of using Linux to format them and see if that helps.

As for older versions of Ubuntu, that's not an issue (yet) as I'm on 12.04 right now. Thanks for the heads-up on that, though.

How are you planning on sharing these share's with the other Macs? I ask this because network file sharing protocols like samba, also dont care what filesystem you're using. So you can share an ext4 drive with you Mac via samba and it will be transparent to your Mac.

I'll be sharing via netatalk 2.2 for AFP support, which so far works very well. I had to export several LANG/LC environment variables in my service script to get UTF-8 support in FlexRAID, as well as enable AppleDouble-based extended attributes in netatalk to make this happen.

The use of EXT4-formatted drives does work via netatalk, but from what I have read, data file bundles such as "iPhoto Library" specifically require HFS+ filesystems to work properly. I'm concerned that trying to store my iPhoto Library on EXT4 via AFP could be a recipe for corrupted data... hence the reason that I am exploring native HFS+ support instead of using EXT4. Do you think this is really an issue, or is the HFS+ filesystem only a concern when storing the iPhoto data file on a disk directly mounted on the Mac (instead of via a network share?)

One other option I have tried is using EXT4 by creating a sparse-diskimage formatted as HFS+, and storing the data files in the image...  but this seems to be a kludge, and I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Cheers,
Adam

Offline juise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 02:42:34 pm »
I was having issues getting FlexRAID to see my EXT4 drives. By pure luck I found unmounting & remounting them and refreshing the drive manager in FlexRAID made them show up.

I've never bothered trying any of the AFP solutions in Linux because I've always had some windows computers in the mix. I have however used samba for the better part of the last 20 years, and never run into any file corruption, or strange permission/ownership issues. My iPhoto library is stored on my Samba share (FlexRAID CC snapshot, storage pool), and I haven't run into any problems. In fact when I was moving to a new linux box I even moved my iPhoto library to a windows computer shared it there, and had no issues. However I see your point, and maybe I've just been lucky.

I think that since you're using AFP the potential for your Mac to expect all the permission and atributes of a HFS+ formatted drive to be there may be higher.  Then again I would expect Netatalk to have that covered. I spent a little time looking at the Netatalk FAQ & Wiki. I noticed there's no mention of underlying filesystems which suggest to me that netatalk is doing whatever it needs to track those special HFS permissions/attributes.

I would try Netatalk on an ext4 drives in your FlexRAID. Make a backup of your iPhoto library, point iPhoto to it and try it for a few days for your own piece of mind. If it works for you like it did for me via samba go with it. I'm pretty sure it should work fine.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:59:48 pm »
Apple...

...I wonder about you people... really.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline juise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 03:13:36 pm »
Apple...

What? It's a BSD desktop with a custom filesystem, beautiful GUI, and top tier applications! What is there to wonder about?

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 03:25:07 pm »
Nothing, not the right thread.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline adamlwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 05:34:17 pm »
...I would try Netatalk on an ext4 drives in your FlexRAID. Make a backup of your iPhoto library, point iPhoto to it and try it for a few days for your own piece of mind. If it works for you like it did for me via samba go with it. I'm pretty sure it should work fine.

Cool, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Good to know you've had success using SMB.

Thanks for the reply.

A

Offline adamlwatson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 05:39:58 pm »
Apple...

Ah, come on now—no need for an OS war thread. I happen to use MacOS X, Ubuntu and Windows, for development, server and gaming. I'm a fan of using the best OS or tool for the job at hand. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 06:06:45 pm »
Don't get me started really.
I am not in computing since yesterday.
(no offence to you)
---
NLS

Offline kitkitnet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 08:10:16 pm »
Back to the topic ;D, most modern common NAS (Synology or QNAP) are using ext4 as their native storage file system and share it with AFP (netatalk). For me, I've been using those NAS for years to storage my iPhoto DB, iTunes DB and Time Machine backup with AFP without issues.

IMO, I would suggest you use ext4 as the pool file system, as the utils come with ext4 is better in Linux.