Author Topic: Can copy files from a Mac to FlexRAID shares but can't delete.  (Read 2569 times)

Offline NightGardener

• View Profile
My home has a combination of Windows and Mac computers.  Copying files from Windows clients to FlexRAID shares goes smoothly.  Copying files from the Mac clients goes smoothly as well, deleting those files from a Mac does not: I get "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8072)."

I decided to log into my WHS and look at the properties of the files that I copied from the Mac to the FlexRAID storage pool.  Under the Security tab of those files, I get SYSTEM and Administrators (which I expect to see) and two weird group/user names: S-1-5-21-2382251392-2465101593-2561916481-1007 and another that is identical except for the last digit ending in 8.  None of my users as designated in FlexRAID are there.  In comparison, files I copy from Windows clients have the correct users and permissions as designated in the FlexRAID web client under Server Shares, and I can delete those files no problem from a PC or a Mac.

As an experiment, I shared some folders on an unpooled drive on my WHS install and tried copying and deleting files onto it from my one of my Macs.  No problems, and the users under the Security tab are applied correctly.  This leads me to believe there has to be something with FlexRAID that is causing the issue.

For full disclosure I'm running FlexRAID 2.0u11c final on WHS 2011 on an ESXi 5.0 VM with drives passed through directly to the VM on an LSI SAS card.  FlexRAID is running a snapshot raid with storage pool in cruise control mode.  All shares are done through SMB.  The Mac clients are all running the latest iteration of Mountain Lion.

I've been using FlexRAID on WHS 2011 for three weeks as an upgrade to my old WHS v1 system and I'm really loving it, but this one problem has me confounded as this was never an issue in WHS v1.  Any clues on what I may be doing wrong?  Is there perhaps a bug in FlexRAID?

Offline NightGardener

• View Profile
Re: Can copy files from a Mac to FlexRAID shares but can't delete.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:25:00 am »
OK, I've made an interesting discovery.  It appears that the weird permissions issue is also occurring when I copy files over from a Windows 7 client via SMB, I just wasn't noticing.  The reason I didn't notice is because, as mentioned in my previous post, Administrators is one of the users that gets added to the file properties when files are copied over, along with the same two bizarre number users.  All the accounts on Windows 7 that I've been copying files from are Administrator accounts.  As a result I can delete the files from Windows no problem, as the permissions are there.

Basically, any new files I've copied to the FlexRAID WHS since I created it a few weeks ago are not getting the appropriate users and their permissions attached to the file.  It's fairly transparent on my Windows machines as my Administrator accounts are granted full control.  The Macs however can't delete or even copy these files back over to the Mac because of the users/permissions.  Manually changing the users/permissions is tedious and really not a viable solution.  Help!

Offline rbrohman

• View Profile
Re: Can copy files from a Mac to FlexRAID shares but can't delete.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:05:54 am »
Did you find a solution to your problem?

I'm having similar issues with my Storage Pool on Windows 8.  I'm seeing a trend on a number of threads, but so far haven't seen a solution.

Thanks