Author Topic: "A" Storage Drive still accessible although Pool and Array are stopped  (Read 1165 times)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
I was really really confused until I noticed that deleting a RAID configuration was not a "clean" operation.

The story:

I add just created a new "RAID Configuration" with two DRU and one PPU.
I had no other RAID Configuration anymore (I deleted the previous one).
I had successfully initialized the new Array (with Auto Start=false) but this one was started yet (it didn't start ?!)

I could however already access a "V" drive named "TRAID Storage Pool", i.e.: the default name given in the "RAID Options" of my "RAID configuration".
Amazing as I did check twice and the Pool was currently stopped as well as the Array (The Stop button was disabled).
In addition, the letter configured as "Drive Letter" in the "RAID Options" was "Z" !!!???

I did try several times to delete the RAID configuration and create a new one... Always the same issue...

Finally, I did reboot and the drive disappear. Starting next manually the Array (which was still "Auto Start=false"), the Drive reappeared with again the letter "V". But now the letter was indeed "V" in the "RAID options".

After bumping my head on the wall for a while, I noticed that when deleting a RAID configuration, the related Pool is not deleted. I.e.: the drive is still accessible.

This is so confusing! Couldn't you stop the Pool when one deletes a Configuration ?
Notice: Everything is fine is I "Stop" explicitly the Array before as this is also automatically stopping the Pool !

Also, I understand that you assign a new letter for the pool of a new Configuration if the default one is assigned. But still, after initializing the related Array, this one does not start as long as the previous pool is running. Is there something wrong (the new array should actually start as well as its pool although there is yet another one?) or is it a limitation ?

V.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:34:22 am by vletroye »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A check has been added to not allow the configuration to be deleted if the array is online.

You can't run two pools on the same array, which is what this issue boils down to.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Thx!

You improve it fast! The UI will be very robust which is as important as a bug-free kernel for most end users.

Already it seems to me that you and the beta testers did a great job.

I am tempted to remotely turn on my pc at home to continue playing with tRaid from here (holidays with my family in law). But so far the sun and the beers still have my favors :)

I will take pleasure to torture the kernel (e.g. crash the pc while writing data in the pool) once back :P