Author Topic: We may not restart the NZFS Broker Service to fast  (Read 1757 times)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
We may not restart the NZFS Broker Service to fast
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:51 am »
If I Restart the NZFS Broker Service I get an error message : "Windosw could not start the NZFS Broker Service on Local Computer. Error 6: The handle is invalid".

Same error if I do a "Stop" and quite soon after a "Start".

It works if I wait a big minute before "Starting" the service.

I am just curious why and if it's possible to improve the user experience with a kind of "automatic retry" in the "start procedure" of the service to avoid such an error message thrown in the user face  :D

V.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
Re: We may not restart the NZFS Broker Service to fast
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:41:55 am »
NZFS Broker service when stopped (why stop btw?), needs some time to... erm... relax. :)

Check NZFSB in your processes. If it dissapears, then the service is actually stopped and you can restart.

---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 01:17:28 pm »
Indeed, the broker requires at least 31 seconds between stop and start.
Why? Not sure.  :-[

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 02:18:37 am »
I was stopping the services to reset as much as possible between my tests with various configurations settings, and to avoid rebooting...

There will indeed be no need IMO to do it on a production server. It's really only to do each test in a clean execution context.

By the way, i was presuming that this is enough to fully reset the execution context of tRaid, but I was most probably wrong as some messages explicitly ask to reboot the pc when changing the RAID options

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:56:34 am »
Indeed service reset is not always enough.
There is a part that works on kernel.
Also changes in registry etc. still need reboot.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.