Author Topic: how is tRaid helpful (basically)?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline adoucette

• View Profile
how is tRaid helpful (basically)?
« on: July 07, 2013, 07:26:44 pm »
Practically speaking - how would tRaid be helpful to a WHS user?
I'm sure each WHS user has their own use scenarios, but I think that most will basically want an easy way to create a large storage array from multiple disks, with some parity to protect against disk failure.
If this is the basic need, is fRaid or tRaid the better choice? Why? (please K.I.S.)
Please convince me why (or not) I should buy tRaid if I already own fRaid?

Thanks,
Ari
LIAN LI PC-Q25B Case (5 hot-swap, 3 fixed) | ASUS E35M1-I Motherboard (6 SATA III ports on a Mini-ITX) | AMD Hudson M1 | WHS 2011 --- 1W sleep | 20W idle | 50W r/w

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: how is tRaid helpful (basically)?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:42:56 pm »
It is all about content.

The premise of Snapshot RAID is data that is fairly static.
For most users, that requires a separation of the data and put semi-static data (usually the bulk) under Snapshot RAID and dynamic data under something like RAID 1.

In practice, what we have seen is users not wanting to do that separation and wanting something that will work equally well for both static and dynamic data.
Transparent RAID is the solution to that problem.
One storage platform to protect them all, static or dynamic. :)

There is even more coming to the tRAID platform that (hopefully) will blow everyone's mind.
Lips are sealed for now.  :-X

Offline adoucette

• View Profile
Re: how is tRaid helpful (basically)?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:53:35 pm »
Brahim,
Thanks for the reply.
How does it compare with fRaid for:
  • CPU and RAM use? Will this require more or less power (long-term $)? For example, compared to a storage pool that only changes about 5GB per day and only calculates parity (flexRAID "Update") nightly
  • Throughput? How do both read and write compare to fRaid (on the same system and disks)?
Thanks again,
Ari
LIAN LI PC-Q25B Case (5 hot-swap, 3 fixed) | ASUS E35M1-I Motherboard (6 SATA III ports on a Mini-ITX) | AMD Hudson M1 | WHS 2011 --- 1W sleep | 20W idle | 50W r/w