Author Topic: Moving to Linux (Ubuntu Server) from Windows Server Help please!  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Cetrian

• View Profile
 :o
So I am moving from Windows Server 2012 where I had 3x 3TB drives in what is effectively a snapshot RAID5 via FlexRAID.  They are formatted NTFS.
I just moved to Ubuntu Server (13.04) and I am looking at installing FlexRAID on Linux (The official doc makes it seem pretty intense) but I have a bigger problem:
Ubuntu can't mount the drives! It says there is some error mounting.  (I'll paste the exact error text below)  Is there a good way to migrate these drives over? I am sweating it a little bit especially since i can't even read the data on the drives....  Any help appreciated!

Actual error (same for all 3 drives):
Error mounting /dev/sdd2 at /media/cetrian/Raid Drive 3: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdd2" "/media/cetrian/Raid Drive 3"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdd2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option

UPDATE: FlexRAID installed successfully... waiting on advice here in order to start using these disks again.  I have no problem reformatting them to ext4 or something else, I just need that data!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:41:31 pm by Cetrian »

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
Re: Moving to Linux (Ubuntu Server) from Windows Server Help please!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:34:20 am »
FlexRAID is not messing with FS in any way.
Something else in you Windows server left the disks in an unclean state.
Run chkdsk through a Windows DVD and see what happens.

Also in FlexRAID you get RAID4 not 5.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline Cetrian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:11:53 am »
Hi - thanks for the response. I was able to boot onto a Win7 USB stick, and then hit SHIFT + F10 at the first screen to get to the DOS prompt. Then, ran chkdsk x: /F on each drive where x: was each drive's letter (mine were c: d: and e:). No problems were found, and then I closed the main install window, which rebooted the computer. I think doing this properly unmounted those NTFS drives and now I can use them in Ubuntu Server =]  I'm now investigating the best file system to use in Linux for FlexRAID.  Thanks!

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:29:25 am »
Happy to help.
If I collect much positive Karma, Brahim will buy me a lollipop. :D
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.